Công cụ bài viết Kiểu hiển thị
Cũ 28-10-2009, 09:34 PM
Akô Nô Akô Nô đang ẩn
Super Moderator

Tham gia ngày: Jun 2009
Bài gửi: 480
Cảm ơn: 1
Được cảm ơn 22 lần cho 18 bài viết
Mặc định The Strange Day Helper (KVH 46 "Người giúp việc khác thường" - bản tiếng Anh)

The Strange Day Helper
by Nguyen Nhat Anh

Chapter 1

Tieu Long walked in and out.

Every so often he would punch his fists into each other.

Tieu Long is very frustrated.

He walked around on the stone yard in front of the house, thought of something and doubled back to the backyard.

Tieu Long caught Tac Ke Bong bending at the waist and tilling the empty plot of land next to the water spinach pond.

-You just woke up now? – Tac Ke Bong looked at Tieu Long, who already comfortably sat down on the bricked well next to the star tree, smilingly asked.

Tieu Long pretended not to hear Tac Ke Bong’s question. He raised his chin, face cold as ice:

-Where’s Luom?

-He herded the cows out to the field early this morning. Right now he’d probably down by Cat Co hill.

-What about Qui Rom? Do you know where he went?

-Nope.

-Didn’t he follow Luom?

-Nope. Quy Rom is using my mom’s bicycle.

-Did he tell you whose house he is going to?

-He said nothing.

-Why didn’t you ask him?

-I did, but he only smiled and showed his teeth.

-Tieu Long decided to cease interrogating Tac Ke Bong. He recalled that if Quy Rom didn’t reveal anything to him, there is no way that he would say something to Tac Ke Bong.

Tieu Long glued himself to the well’s circular wall, lost in thought. Where could Rom have gone these last few days? On a daily basis, Tieu Long would find Quy Rom disappeared every morning. In the afternoon, Quy Rom also didn’t bother to sneak back home for lunch.

Inky dark, his friend would then show his face. Like clockwork, before the bicycle hit the wall, his friend was already out in the backyard dousing himself with water from the well without bothering to answer any questions from his friends.

-Where did you go to exorcise ghosts and demons this time Quy Rom?-Tac Ke Bong carefully asked.

Quy Rom continued to douse himself with water from the well.

Tieu Long blinked:

-Or are you visiting that girl Muoi Muoi?

Luom jumped in:

-De Lua said the sisters Ti Ti and Muoi Muoi are not coming this summer.

Tieu Long looked upward with desperation in his voice:

-So where did you go Rom? Are you going to wait until steam come out of our ears to answer our questions?

Quy Rom ran his fingers through his hair and casually answered:

-Nothing to tell.

Tieu Long starting to boil over:

-Every day you went out from dusk to dawn and you have nothing to say?

-Actually, this is a difficult thing to say…

-Hmm, are you making fun of me?- Tieu Long brushed his index finger across his nose, agitated – Since when you started to have “difficult thing to say?”

Quy Rom answered him by silently hung the water scooper onto the little pole right next to the star tree and turned around into the house.

-Quy Rom! – Tieu Long yelled loudly.

It appeared Quy Rom thought Tieu Long was calling someone else’s name because he headed straight inside without looking back.

Suddenly realizing how strange his friend was acting, Tieu Long became extremely curious. He has been hanging with Quy Rom all these years, not a single time had he seen his friend acting so strange. Tieu Long regretted that little Hanh is not here. With her intelligent she will definitely figure out what Quy Rom had eaten that made him behaved so strange.

Tieu Long knew he is not smart. He recalled Quy Rom occasionally called him by the nickname “Dimwit”. Those who are not smart should not think too much to avoid adding more stress to their brain. The best course for someone not smart is to ask other people. Tieu Long glanced toward Tac Ke Bong:

-Did you see which direction Quy Rom biked toward?

-Yes.

Tieu Long eyes lighted up:

-Which direction?

-I saw him biked out toward the intersection.

-Why bother said anything if he went toward the intersection! – The unintelligent person exhaled in resignation when he found out he was talking to another unintelligent person –I wanted to know which direction Quy Rom turned toward. Did he bike toward Duoi neighborhood or Dau Cau neighborhood?

- Ah, that I don’t know. –Tac Ke Bong planted the hoe into the ground and stood up straight – But why do you keep raising questions with this problem? Did he not already tell my parents he is busy exorcising ghosts and demons in the next hamlet?

Tieu Long grimaced:

-You believe his words?

-Of course. – Tac Ke Bong answered easily.

- It’s illogical to think there are ghosts and demons in this world. – Tieu Long placed his palm on the well’s circular wall, simultaneously exhaled loudly – Last year’s episode involving the one-legged demon throwing stones on Mr. Sau Canh’s house was caused by someone pretending…

-I know that one. But what about the story about a bunch of demons partying in the haunted house on top of Cat Co hill...

Tieu Long interrupted:

-That was also made up by someone; there were no ghosts or demons there.

Tieu Long’s strong assertation caused Tac Ke Bong to widen his eyes, the hoe in his hands almost fell out:

-Are you saying the truth?

-Why would I lie to you?

-Who would do such a thing? To what end? Why did Quy Rom told my mom those demons on Cat Co hill really did exist?

Tac Ke Bong continued to press on. This time he tossed the hoe aside and stepped toward Tieu Long.

Sensing the kid’s determination to pursuit an explanation to the end, Tieu Long waved his hands nonstop:

-You should continue to till the soil. This is something difficult to say and I can’t tell you.

The image of sister Cam meeting brother Son on top of Cat Co hill popped in Tieu Long’s head. Cam is De Lua’s older sister. De Lua is a good friend to both Quy Rom and him. They could not allow the people in the hamlet to gossip about their best friend’s sister, especially when it involved something that was already in the past.

In a state of confusion, Tieu Long didn’t know he was imitating Quy Rom’s voice.

- Oh so all of you have something “difficult to say”? – Tac Ke Bong glanced at Tieu Long out of his peripheral vision, his voice mildly amused.

Tieu Long cannot see his face, but sensing the hotness on the back of his neck, he immediately had the image of a ripened tomato.

He nervously fingered his nose reminiscing of someone touching the base of a tomato, stuttered:

- To be honest…to be correct…

- Are you saying you never speak correctly before? – Tac Ke Bong let out a breath of air.

Who did Tac Ke Bong study under and why is he so talkative this year? - Tieu Long cursed inwardly, then struggled to change his response:

-To be honest, the ghost on Cat Co hill concerns many parties. If we reveal this information, surely someone will leave the hamlet…

-Is this true? – For the second time in 5 minutes Tac Ke Bong’s eyes widened.

Surprised, he didn’t know if he’d asked the right follow up question. He also wasn’t sure if Tieu Long was being honest:

- Why would I lie to you? asked Tieu Long.

If Tieu Long wasn’t lying, it meant that Quy Rom had.

Tieu Long had told Tac Ke Bong and Luom that Quy Rom wasn’t in the business of exorcising ghosts or demons in the neighboring hamlet.

Tac Ke Bong and Luom were torn as to whether to believe this or not. To be exact, they only believed about thirty percent – leaving the other seventy percent open for suspicion. -Oh right - Luom slowly recalled, -the times they went exorcising ghosts on Cat Co hill and conversing with the one-legged demons at Mr. Sau Canh’s place, Quy Rom always permitted them to come along. This time around, Quy Rom was secretive as to his whereabouts. Tieu Long being excluded from participating would be unheard of.”

- This means brother Quy is not exorcising any ghost! – Luom spoke aloud the thought that was running through his head.

After herding the cows into their holding area, he wiggled in to sit between Tieu Long and Tac Ke Bong.

- So where had he gone all those times? – Tac Ke Bong looked up asking no one in particular.

- Tonight we will obtain the answers to our questions - Tieu Long replied bitterly punching the air. Among the three, he was the angriest with Quy Rom. Naturally, Quy Rom, little Hanh and himself were like triplets, revealing everything to each other. It was hard to believe now that Rom had left him out of the loop. Rom obviously didn’t see him as a close friend anymore.

Tieu Long was mad. He had spent the whole day out back sitting and chatting with Tac Ke Bong. Even when the sun had gone down below the bamboo tree and Luom had already herded the cows in, Tieu Long remained outside with Tac Ke Bong – just to show how mad he was with Tac Ke Bong. Extremely mad!

Chào mừng đến với NNAFC! Thành viên Akô Nô, chúc bạn vui vẻ!
Trả lời với trích dẫn
Cũ 28-10-2009, 09:35 PM
Akô Nô Akô Nô đang ẩn
Super Moderator

Mặc định

Chapter 2

Quy Rom was being held by the neck and hands and dragged out to a pile of straw next to the cow pen by Tieu Long, Tac Ke Bong, and Luom. They had him surrounded.

However, Quy Rom remained calm and collected.

He even rubbed his stomach in good humor:

- Oh, what sort of sport is this? I just ate dinner and can’t possibly move.

Quy Rom was being funny, but his three friends weren’t smiling.

Tieu Long grabbed Quy Rom’s shoulder and pressed him down to the straw pile, coldly shouting:

-Sit down!

Quy Rom sat with his back against the straw pile and his feet straight out in front of him:

-Oh, thank you very much! It has been a while since I was able relax like this.

Tieu Long remained true to his character and refused to crack a smile.

-Speak! he growled. Do you still see us as your friends?

-You speak! Do you still see me as a friend and why do you ask such a strange question?

-You are the one acting strange! – Tieu Long grinded his teeth together – If you still see me as your friend then why don’t you tell me where have been going everyday?

- Oh my gosh! Tieu Long oh Tieu Long! Did you hit your head against a tree branch? – Quy Rom raised both of his hands over his head, his voice breaking slightly – Didn’t I tell the whole house already! I’m exorcising a ghost in the neighboring hamlet.

- Ghost – yeah right! – Tieu Long stomped on the ground – You are the one who told me there are no ghosts in this world!

- He’s right! – Luom joined in – The previous episode about the ghosts on Cat Co hill and the one-legged demon by Mr. Sau Canh were all a hoax. The ghosts had been fake.

- Were you planning to trick all of us, Quy Rom? – Tac Ke Bong stared intently at Quy Rom and said with an accusatory tone – You mean you are the only one smart enough and the rest of us are dumb like pigs right?

- That’s what you think, not what I think! – Quy Rom made a sound with his nose.

Luom sat down next to Quy Rom, his voice low and conciliatory:

- So what do you have in mind?

- What I think? – Quy Rom scratched his head – What I have in mind…before, I always thought there were no ghosts in this world. People just made up ghosts and demons. Until today…

Quy Rom intentionally stopped, causing Luom to hold his breath:

- And today?

Quy Rom said gravely:

- Until today when I realized ghosts and demons are real.

- Liar! – Tieu Long exhaled loudly.

As if he didn’t hear Tieu Long, Quy Rom continued:

- The ghost in the neighboring hamlet is a mean ghost, full of vengeance. To be honest, this is my first encounter with a hanging one.

- The term “hanging” caused Tac Ke Bong to go weak in the knees. As for Luom, he inched closer to Quy Rom. One hand he held to his brother’s hand, the other he stealthily checked his pants to see if it was sunshine or rain.

- When the current owner had bought the house, he didn’t know that someone had previously died there by hanging. He only saw the price was low yet and didn’t question why no one else was dared to buy it.

Tac Ke Bong wet his lips:

- So the owner didn’t know about the story? I would think everyone in the hamlet would know about something that horrendous.

- The owner was an outsider – Quy Rom added – Ever since Dau Cau neighborhood became a hamlet, outsiders flocked to it to do business – you knew that.

Luom was both scared and anxious. He shook Quy Rom:

- And what did the hanging ghost do, brother?

- No one knows what it did – Quy Rom paused to swallow – But since the owner moved in, there have been two deaths in just one year.

Tac Ke Bong’s face lost its color:

- Also by hanging them?

- No. The son climbed a mango tree, slipped and fell to the ground. Two months later, the father climbed on the roof, also slipped and fell.

Tac Ke Bong’s stomach churned:

- No one survived?

- Yeah, fell and stayed on the ground.

- So scary! – Luom shuddered and pulled hunkered down. If his neck could lower between his shoulder blades, he would.

- Why did the father climb on the roof? – Tac Ke Bong curious. At this time, he already sat down next to Luom, hoping that sitting closer together would chase away the fear.

- He raised a golden swallow. That morning, when he fed the bird, he did something that enable the bird to escape its cage and flew outside. He chased after it. The bird landed on the rooftop and he hurriedly scaled on top with a ladder. Unfortunately, before he could capture the bird, he fell to the ground, right on top a hoe.

Luom exhaled slowly:

- Truly scary. However, those deaths had nothing to do with the hanging ghost.

Tac Ke Bong’s face also loosened:

- Yeah, that were only misfortune

- Misfortunes? – Quy Rom exhaled loudly through his nose – Why don’t you guys started to use that brain of yours.

- What’s there to think about? – Luom eyes turned round.

Quy Rom half sneered:

- Hanging ghost always hovered above ground. All these deaths were the result of falling from above.

- Oh man! – Luom moaned and nudged closer to his older brother but there was no more space for him to nudge close to. It seemed he became close to jump right into Quy Rom’s embrace.

Tac Ke Bong nervously asked, beads of sweat forming on his forehead:

- So all these misfortunes were caused by…by….by a ghost?

- Now you all know!

Quy Rom didn’t answer directly, but his statement had more chilling effect than an admission.

Luom planned to open his mouth for another question but he discovered his jaw suddenly became hard like wood. This is why he was ecstatic to hear Tac Ke Bong stuttered the question he thought of asking:

- So…so…the hanging ghost pushed…pushed those people…to the ground?

- No one knows for sure. – Quy Rom gingerly answered – Ghosts are not like human, it’s hard to see them. It’s possible that it shoved, or maybe it pulled their hands or tripped their feet. You guys already knew that ghosts are full of mischief. What ever its method, we are still death.

His three friends don’t know what a ghost looked like, but Quy Rom was on a roll so he casually used the phrase, “You guys already knew”, as if ghosts are commonly seen outside in the market. Luom and Tac Ke Bong were in a middle of the conversation, their stomachs muscle tightened, no one minded Quy Rom’s statement.

Only Tieu Long protruded his lips and said:

- Ghosts are full of mischief is something I can’t say for sure, but I know you are up to something.

Sensing his best friend’s suspicious voice, Quy Rom thought of growling in disapproval. However, after taking a full breath, he thought of something and exhaled, permitting his body to relax:

- I’m not forcing you to believe me, Tieu Long. But it’s the truth. The owner herself told me those scary stories.

Quy Rom voice became conversational:

- I admit I myself didn’t believe in those stories back then. However, she was really scared and worried. Her eyes were in tear when she was begging me. She said her house now has a total of three people. Her two children and her, a son and a daughter. She had three children but the eldest died. She said if I don’t step in and help her, the hanging ghost will surely methodically spread misfortune to the rest of the family members.

- Ah, really pitiful! – Luom said out loud emphathically. Quy Rom’s melancholy voice caused his heart to soften without him realizing it – That violent ghost will surely find a way to pull hands or tripped feet…

- Luom! – Tieu Long interrupted – If the house really has that sort of ghost, the house owner will surely move somewhere else.

Tac Ke Bong nodded in agreement:

- Right, I think that’s the most effective and simplest way to “exorcise” the ghost!

- You guys don’t know anything to speak! – The first time Quy Rom lost his patience. He growled loudly and regretted that he didn’t have fire to exhale out of his nose – Everyone knows moving is the best option. But most important thing is money! Where can one find money to move?

As if Quy Rom just fired machine gun in the air. Tieu Long and the gang silent as if they were hit by the bullets. Tac Ke Bong’s face became truly pathetic. If the straw pile had salamander, everyone would believe that a salamander just pooped on his face.

Quy Rom’s mischievious eyes scanned back and forth his friend’s faces, his words gained momentum and his mouth speaking nonstop:

- To move you need money to buy a new house, am I right Luom?

- Correct, yes. – Luom timidly answered.

- To buy a new house you have to be able to sell the current house to obtain money, am I right Tac Ke Bong?

Tac Ke Bong lips quivered:

- Uh…uh…right.

Quy Rom pressed on with confident:

- To be able to sell the current house it must be ridded of ghost, am I right Tieu Long?

- You are wrong!

Tieu Long’s reply caused Quy Rom to stop on the spot. In the midst of his own momentum, Quy Rom forgot that Tieu Long was still mad at him. Like a vehicle happily cruising on the street and suddenly hit a speedbump, Quy Rom was left speechless:

- Where did you find something wrong?

- Where? – Tieu Long brushed his nose – at the part where there is no ghost in that house.

- Ehh…you…you…

- No ehh…! No one exorcises ghosts in the middle of the day. From then to now, all wrongly-death spirits only appeared at night. Meanwhile, you disappeared somewhere in the morning, came home at night to sleep, and you dare brag that you are exorcising ghost?

- Yeah, that’s right! – Tac Ke Bong laughed heartily – Do you think we are children, Quy Rom?

- To be honest I couldn’t help but think of you guys as little kids. – Quy Rom scowled – You guys don’t know much. Everyone knows ghosts usually appear at night. That’s because ghosts are afraid of the day, the warmth air. But those ghosts are low-level ghosts, common ghosts, ghosts with “low social status.” Ghosts with “high social status” are not afraid of anything.

Luom jumped:

- So are you saying this hanging ghost appears in the daytime?

- Yup, this particular ghost doesn’t bother to appear at night. It follows…office hours.

Tieu Long’s eyes narrowed:

-How did the house owner know you? She lives in the neighboring hamlet!

Quy Rom was ecstatic to find Tieu Long asked too easy of a question. He quickly answered:

-Mr. Sau Canh introduced us. The time you and Tac Ke Bong busied fixing the cow pen, I biked to Nga Ba market for fun. While there, I also stopped by Mr. Sau Canh’s brick house, coincidentally ran into him.

Tieu Long surprised:

-He hasn’t sold his house?

-Not yet. Currently he is renting it to someone to put a rice grinder there. The owner of the haunted house also came that day to grind her rice. That was when he made the introduction. To be honest, I didn’t want to accept the task. I was thinking I’m here to enjoy the summer vacation with you guys, not to waste time with this nonsense. However, the house owner cried really hard that day. Furthermore, Mr. Sau Canh, who stood nearby, occasionally added: “Only someone with the master’s level of expertise can control this malicious ghost. You graduated from Ta Lon mountain, you were able to remove the one-legged demons at my house that one time!”, “Master, please considers building a good legacy for tomorrow and place high-importance on saving others’ lives. Our ancestor has a saying: Building a nine storied pagoda doesn’t equal to saving a person’s live.”

Quy Rom spoke at length without any hesitation caused Tac Ke Bong off guard:

-Huh? So you didn’t invent something up?

-Why would I need to invent a story! Do you think I have that much free time Tac Ke Bong?

-How come you are not inviting us to come along like the previous times? –Tieu Long intently gazed at his friend, his suspicion shown through his eyes.

-Tieu Long, I gotta be honest with you. – Quy Rom stroked his chin and intentionally spoke in a patient voice – Before this I had always called you a “dimwit”. That was when I had an itch on my mouth and accidentally called you that name. When I realized the err of my way, I regretted it very much. Sometimes I couldn’t sleep the whole night out of regret because I realized I shouldn’t call my best friend by that name. However, until today, I think if I don’t use the term “dimwit” for you, I confessed I don’t know what else to refer to you as.

-Huh…you little…- Now it was time for Tieu Long to be speechless and he unconsciously repeated Quy Rom’s voice.

-No “Huh huh”!- Quy Rom devilishly repeated Tieu Long’s words –Am I not right? If you were not a “dimwit” naturally you wouldn’t question my last statement. Why did I bring you guys along the previous times? Simply because I knew Cat Co hill and Mr. Sau Canh’s place don’t have ghosts and the stories were all made up.

- So this time around it’s a real ghost? – Luom jumped in, his voice both nervous and interested.

- One more person! – Quy Rom scowled at Luom, his voice disappointed – If it’s not a real ghost, I already asked you guys to come along. This hanging ghost is so malicious I wouldn’t dare invite you guys to come along, even so far as wouldn’t dare tell anybody. Today, because you guys interrogated me so much that I cracked my lips slightly to reveal the story to you.

-You are a spirit master so of course the ghost is pugnacious toward you. – Luom blinked – We are only sitting home listening for news, we don’t do anything toward it, right?

Quy Rom looked toward the heaven:

- Sitting at home listening for news is also unacceptable. To say so indicates you haven’t…haven’t encountered a ghost before. This ghost is truly fearsome. These last few days we’ve been fighting each other without a clear winner. Many times it even chased me down the street and we fought along the way. With that pugnacious nature, there bound to be a day when it will track me here. Maybe it is sitting around here at this very instant. If it knows you guys are asking questions about it, surely it will not leave you guys alone…

Quy Rom’s words passed through like a cold wind, causing the hairs on his friends’ back to stiffen. Luom fearfully looked around:

-Goodness…you’re really saying something scary.

Tac Ke Bong nudged closer to Luom while simultaneously attempted to shrink his body:

-Did it really chase and attack you along the way?

- Why wouldn’t it be true! – Quy Rom swung his fists in the air – I used a bicycle, it ran along, oops I forgot, it hovered in the air. It was on top, me on the bottom puching each other like crazy. People on the road really were caught unprepared when they saw me punching the air and didn’t comprehend what I was doing.

- Hehe! – Tieu Long hugged his stomach – Such lies you tell! It’s hard to believe someone would punch against a ghost like he was in a boxing match.

Quy Rom sprung up. He pulled down his shirt to reveal one shoulder:

- Like I want to make it up! You guys come here and take a look! I always speak with concrete evidence to back my words.

Tieu Long curiously bended down to examine his friend’s shoulder. Tac Ke Bong and Luom also slowly stood up. The three strained their eyes to take a look.

- Do you guys see anything yet? – Quy Rom anxiously asked.

- Yup, I see. – Luom nodded quickly.

- What do you see?

- A shoulder.

Quy Rom furrowed his brows in displeasure:

-Why would you mention just the shoulder? Is there anything on the shoulder?

- Nothing to see.

- Hmm, you guys don’t see a bruise?

- How can we see, it’s dark.

- Then you guys come here!

Quy Rom hurriedly walked ahead. The three friends excitedly tagged along. Upon reaching the kitchen and under the bright light, Quy Rom once again showed his shoulder for his friends to examine.

This time, upon resting his eyes on the shoulder, Tac Ke Bong exclaimed:

- Oh man, that’s scary! Your shoulder is all bruised.

Trả lời với trích dẫn
Cũ 28-10-2009, 09:36 PM
Akô Nô Akô Nô đang ẩn
Super Moderator

Mặc định

Chapter 3

This morning Tieu Long opened his eyes and still didn’t see Quy Rom anywhere.
He intentionally woke up early, extremely early, but Rom always got up earlier than him. As usual, he rode off with the bicycle.
Tieu Long mad as hell. Without bothering to brush his teeth, he flew out to the backyard.
The immediately image of Tac Ke Bong bending to hoe the ground somehow rubbed him the wrong way.
- You have nothing else to do Tac Ke Bong? – Tieu Long asked in an irritated voice.
Tac Ke Bong looked up at his friend, his face confused:
- And…?
- “And and” yourself! What is so important that I see you hoeing that same spot everyday?
- I’m turning the soil so my mom can plant cabbages.
Tac Ke Bong’s answer quickly deflated Tieu Long. He came back here and hasn’t helped his aunt Nam Sang till the soil for one day. And now suddenly also caused trouble with Tac Ke Bong. It’s something unacceptable.
Tieu Long decided to change the subject:
-Quy Rom already went out to eliminate the ghost?
-Yeah.
Tac Ke Bong answered and returned to tilling the soil. But suddenly he looked up:
-Umm, so you really bought into Quy Rom story about busting the ghost?
-Tst!- Tieu Long shrugged – I’m not a little kid anymore!
-You mean you don’t believe?
- How could I believe!
Tac Ke Bong wetted his lips:
-What about the bruise on his shoulder?
-He could’ve gotten that anywhere. – Tieu Long brushed his nose – To obtain a bruise on one’s shoulder is too easy!
Tac Ke Bong didn’t say anything. He silently returned to his work, tilling the soil. It seems Tieu Long’s reasoning failed to penetrate past Tac Ke Bong’s skull.
-So do you believe him? – Tieu Long edged closer to his friend, his voice lowered.
Tac Ke Bong wiped the sweat off his face, hesitating:
- I really don’t know.
The way Tac Ke Bong answered was a departure from the normal response he gave, which caused Tieu Long to be irritated. He kicked a rock into the fence, half growled:
- Either you believe or you don’t! “I really don’t know” is a not an answer!
Tac Ke Bong bit his lips:
-Why would Quy Rom need to invent a story? How could he think of a story that well. Sounds like a honest to god story!
-Then you don’t know anything about Quy Rom. – Tieu Long slapped his friend’s shoulder, smiling in pleasure –He is the master of lies. There is nothing that he can’t think up. His mouth is smooth like butter, sweet as honey, and his lies can bring the ants out of their colony.
Tac Ke Bong glanced at his friend
-Are you comparing me to ant?
-I’m not comparing anything!- Tieu Long scowled and snatched the hoe from Tac Ke Bong – Give it to me, I’ll help you. Why don’t you look for another hoe!
Tieu Long is really put-off with Tac Ke Bong.
Tac Ke Bong didn’t side with him.
Yesterday, Tac Ke Bong expressed his suspicion at Quy Rom. However, ever since he saw the bruise on Quy Rom’s shoulder, he is starting to be half-convinced.
He even said:
- That bruise really was caused by a ghost. You didn’t live in the countryside so you wouldn’t know, for me I’ve seen that kind of bruises too many times.
Tieu Long didn’t bother to argue. It was his turn to sullenly tilling the soil.
That evening Luom herded the cows past the gate, Tieu Long tossed the hoe and came over:
- What do you want older brother? – Luom looked at his brother.
-Why don’t you herd the cows in and then come out here, I have something to discuss with you. This is important.
In a moment, Luom sat down next to Tieu Long on the steps in front of the porch, his feet and hands were all dirty because he was too curious about the “important something” to wash his hands and feet like usual.
Tieu Long looked directly into this little kid’s face, his voice very formal:
-I will ask frankly, and you better be honest with me Luom.
Luom’s stomach churned:
-What is it?
-Why don’t you just say “yes!”
Luom swallowed hard:
-Okay.
-Do you believe that Quy Rom is really fighting the ghost in the neighboring hamlet? Tieu Long asked in a clear and loud voice, his eyes intently focused on Luom’s face, expecting Luom to shake his head in disbelief.
-I really don’t know.
Luom answered exactly like Tac Ke Bong did this morning. The only thing Tieu Long can do this moment is to cradle his head with his hands, exhaling hard:
-You and Tac Ke Bong are step siblings, but how is it that you guys have the exact same answer, Luom?
Luom detested anyone who compared him to Tac Ke Bong.
-How could I resemble Tac Ke Bong?- Luom protested.
Tieu Long slapped the kid’s shoulder and explained:
-Just this morning when I asked Tac Ke Bong, he gave me the same answer.
Right then Luom no longer seems interested in protesting. If Tac Ke Bong also said the same thing, Tieu Long can’t really blame him.
Luom plucked a strand of hair from his head, hesitatingly said:
-Well, actually…
-Actually what?
-That whole business of exorcise the ghost.
-And what about it?
Luom took a deep breath:
-To verify whether brother Quy is saying the truth or not, we have to secretly follow…
-That’s right, Luom! – Tieu Long yelled, clearly he has been waiting for the exact suggestion – I can’t believe you are smarter than I imagined. Slow-wit like Tac Ke Bong would take until midnight to think up the same solution.
His older friend’s generous praise caused Luom nose to puff up with pride. He pretended to be humble in an effort to make his nose smaller:
-Well, not that smart!
- Really sharp witted! – Tieu Long in good humor, then he narrowed his eyes –But the important thing is who gonna followed your brother Quy?
Tieu Long’s question caused Luom’s stomach to tighten, he felt like he is walking into a trap. He glanced at Tieu Long with an alerted eyes and started to speak circuitously:
- I’m not that big.
Tieu Long smirked:
- I know.
-I also don’t know martial art.
-I am also aware.
-I have to herd the cows out every morning.
Tieu Long snorted:
- Aren’t you afraid of ghost?
Luom’s face reddened with his friend’s frank statement:
- I used to be afraid. However, now I’m…I’m no longer afraid.
Waiting for that very opening, Tieu Long smiled broadly:
-Then you will be the one who follows Quy Rom.
- Me? – Luom shot up as if a tree-branch just fell on his head – Why can’t it be you or Tac Ke Bong?
-Tac Ke Bong always adamantly believed in Quy Rom’s story, for sure he wouldn’t want to anger the hanging ghost. As for me, even less likely a candidate. To secretly follow Quy Rom, I have to be out of the house before he does. But if he woke up to find me gone, he will be suspicious.
Tieu Long playfully punched the kid’s stomach and smiled broadly:
-In conclusion, you are the right choice.
In contrast with Tieu Long’s bright face, Luom’s face slightly crumpled as if he was the accused hearing his sentence in court:
-But I have to herd the cows down to Cat Co hill.
Luom tossed out his last floaty. However, Tieu Long mercilessly snatched it up:
-Tac Ke Bong will replace you and herd the cows to eat.
Luom’s body deflated like a wet towel. He regretted that he bragged about how he’s no longer afraid of ghosts. He knew Tieu Long intentionally led him into a trap, but when Tieu Long challenged him, he couldn’t control his ego. He was boastful. And now he has to pay the price for his boasting.
In the end, Luom realized if one wants to live long, one can’t be boastful. He held tightly Tieu Long arm and begged:
-I’m not afraid of ghost because you said there are no ghosts in this world. But happen if the hanging ghost is real?
Luom has revealed his rabbit tail but Tieu Long couldn’t bring himself to tease his younger friend. He pretended to be serious and suppressed the urge to laugh out loud:
- You are too quick to forget! As I recalled, we already taught you the magical word “an ba li bak me hong” to counter ghosts.
Tac Ke Bong was ecstatic to replace Luom in the job of herding the cows out everyday. Comparing it with following Quy Rom to observe his battle with the hanging ghost, herding the cows out to Cat Co hill was a much lighter task.
In the household, Tac Ke Bong was up the earliest. This is why before herding the cows out their pen, he is also responsible for waking up Luom, a task handed to him by Tieu Long.
On the first day, Luom was completely on his stomach across from the house and behind the small dirt mound. He then sat up and hid behind the bush of wild pineapple, his eyes glued to the alleyway across the street, anxiously waiting for Quy Rom to ride his bike out.
-Heh, shouldn’t you be taking a dump somewhere else instead of this place Luom? I’ll go tell on your father.
Mrs. Sau Thom was early to the market, and seeing Luom’s acting suspicious behind the bush, she opened her mouth widely and spoke loudly.
- Oh Auntie (translator note: societal term, no family relation), please speak softer! – Luom face turned ashen, more afraid of Quy Rom suddenly appeared in the alleyway and saw him instead of Mrs. Sau Thom telling on his father – I’m out to catch a ran-moi (translator note: lizard, localized).
Afraid that Mrs. Sau Thom wouldn’t believe, he hurriedly stood up and then just as quickly squatted down. It was enough for the old lady to see, despite his suspicious appearance, he was still…he still has his pants on, which means he wasn’t taking a dump out in public.
Fortunately for him, the moment he squatted down, Quy Rom also came outside from the alleyway.
Arriving at the village road, Quy Rom swung his foot down and cast a glance around him before pedaling off.
-Brother Quy biked toward Nga Ba market. – 5 minutes later, Luom happily stood in front of Tieu Long and reported his finding.
-You are really something Luom. – Tieu Long encouraged the little kid – I realized your talent is comparable to detective Sherlock Holmes.
Luom doesn’t know about Sherlock Holmes, but he thought a skillful detective probably is someone who wasn’t suspected to be someone who took a dump behind the bush. He didn’t voice his thought, however, his face remained unchanged, he asked:
-So what are we doing brother?
Tieu Long rubbed his nose:
-Tomorrow morning you continue to wake up early like today, run up to Nga Ba market and observed where your brother Quy is heading.

Trả lời với trích dẫn
Cũ 28-10-2009, 09:37 PM
Akô Nô Akô Nô đang ẩn
Super Moderator

Mặc định

Chapter 4

On the second day, Luom ran home and reported:
-Brother Quy headed toward Mr. Sau Canh’s house.
On the third day:
-Brother Quy went into Mr. Sau Canh’s place.
On the fourth:
-Brother Quy went into Mr. Sau Canh house but was not inside Mr. Sau Canh’s house. There was only a bicycle propped up in the front yard.
Tieu Long blinked:
-I think your skill has surpassed Sherlock Holmes, Luom.
-Sherlock Holmes is the detective you mentioned last time right brother?
-Yeah, he was an English detective. He was so skillful that whenever there was an unsolved criminal case, British police had to come to him for help. All he had to do was nodded and everything was solved.
Luom pouted:
- And you compare me to him?
- You are way better than him! – Tieu Long puffed his chest and suddenly lowered his voice – Hmm, to be precise you still have not surpassed Sherlock Holmes’s skill level. Both sides’s detective skill are just about equal.
He glanced at the little kid out of the corner of his eyes and made a sound with his tongue:
- To surpass him, tomorrow you have to do an additional task. Well, this is a little bit difficult, I’m not sure you can handle it.
Tieu Long’s comment, designed to rub Luom’s ego, hit its mark. The little kid rubbed his cheek, his voice slightly hurt:
- What is so difficult?
Tieu Long patted Luom’s shoulder and smiled loudly:
- This time you won’t “intercept” Quy Rom. You have to secretly follow him.
- Secretly follow brother Quy? – Luom asked, his mouth dry.
- Right! I am sure Quy Rom went into Mr. Sau Canh’s place as a diversion. After leaving his bicycle, he went somewhere else.
Luom slightly twitched and asked:
- He went to the hanging ghost’s house?
- You little! – Tieu Long raised his voice – I already told you Quy Rom invented that that story. Ghost this and that!
- I’m…I’m…
- Let me ask you this! – Tieu Long interrupted – Do you want to surpass detective Sherlock Holmes or do you prefer to continue the rest of your life carrying his flip-flop?
- I don’t want anything. – Luom’s face reddened. He bit his lips – But okay, tomorrow I will follow brother Quy!
- That is the way to scare Sherlock Holmes! – Tieu Long smiling broadly – How could you followed your brother Quy for several days just to give up now!
Luom was not sure whether this Sherlock Holmes something is really afraid of him. However, he knew that he is scared. He is afraid of the hanging ghost. Tieu Long was just being overly bold but it is highly likely that Quy Rom didn’t invent the story. If there is a ghost truly that powerful and violent, surely it will not let those tell on it go easily. Luom became more shaky the more the thought about it, his chest suddenly started to feel heavy. However, he knew at this time it is too late for him to pull back.
Truth to be told, Luom also didn’t want to pull back now. He didn’t want to waste the hard work of the last few days. Furthermore, Quy Rom’s mysterious movement piqued his curiousity. Luom has not witnessed for himself a spirit master ridding a ghost before, but he thinks a spirt master’s activity probably doesn’t resemble a bank robber.
Even when he was hiding behind Mr. Sau Canh’s house early morning the next day, Luom still cannot help but starting to feel suspicious.
His suspicion grew as Quy Rom rested his bicycle against Mr. Sau Canh’s wall and hurriedly ran along the narrow trail along the fence.
He left his hiding spot and carefully tailed his older brother.
Luom made sure to stay far behind, carefully kept his body well hidden behind the bushes and observed Quy Rom out of the openings between the leaves.
Ahead of him, Quy Rom moved swiftly like the wind. Luom has not seen his brother Rom moves that quickly before. Occasionally, Quy Rom would turn his neck to look behind, causing Luom to quickly duck down with his heart beating loudly.
- Where could brother Quy go?
Luom asked himself when he noticed Quy Rom increasingly strayed from the main road.
Suddenly, Quy Rom turned right and headed toward the cashew plantations.
-Ah, he is probably going to hanging out with the girls working the cashew plantations.
Luom muttered to himself. But upon reaching the dirt road cutting across the pathway, Luom realized he had err when he saw his older brother headed toward the main road instead of turning left.
Luom started to feel his head spinning around as if someone put a spinning top inside his head: My god! Why does brother Quy has to criss-cross back and forth like that? To walk around quite a distance and then double back to Nga Ba market! Must he goes around in circle like that in order to disorient the hanging ghost so that it couldn’t follow him?
Quy Rom didn’t know that Luom was trailing behind him, following him while muttering to himself. Upon reaching the main road, he headed toward Sat bridge. Over Sat bridge for a distance, Quy Rom followed the dirt road leading to a neighborhood with tile roofing located alongside the main road, he slower his pace.
Luom brushed the sweat on his forehead and exhaled in relief:
- Probably almost here.
The house that Quy Rom entered resembles all the other houses in Tieu Long’s hometown. A tile roofing house with three sections connected to a thatched kitchen in the back. Behind the thatched kitchen was a pig pen. Behind the backyard is a well, a small edible fruits garden and a fish pond. This house doesn’t raise cows so it doesn’t have a cow pen and dried hays.
In front of the house is a stoned lined front yard where each evening, the family would spread the bamboo mat and dine outside to stay cool. During the harvest season, the front yard turned into a place to spread the unprocessed rice out to dry. The whole compound is encircled by mulberry hedge and bamboo trees.
At the moment, Luom is slithering outside the mulberry hedge, nicely trimmed with green vines climbing around the bushes.
Luom encountered several fortunate breaks today. His first lucky break was that this neighborhood doesn’t have a busy body akin to Mrs. Sau Thom. Otherwise, he would be caught by the shrill voice of someone yelling “Oh my god, don’t you have better things to do than attempting to catch other people’s chickens?” It’s true Luom’s behavior resembled a chicken-thief. Even more so with his second lucky break: this house doesn’t have a dog.
If this house has a dog or if this neighborhood has someone like Mrs. Sau Thom, Luom’s hardwork would surely be wasted.
His lucky breaks turned out to be Quy Rom’s misfortune.
Quy Rom wasn’t aware of Luom observing him from outside the mulberry hedge. He casually battling ghost.
Naturally, he was battling ghost with his own unique methods.
The first method Quy Rom employed was…using a broom to sweep the house.
Luom, his eyes almost popping out, stared at his skinny brother stooping to do something Luom thought he’d never imagine in his wildest dream. He had never seen his brother touched a broom, let alone holding it to sweep the house. To say Quy Rom sweep the house was comparable to saying Luom knows how to fly, meaning one was lying and speaking untruth.
At the same time, the impossible thing is happening right in front of Luom eyes. Even harder to believe was that Quy Rom was stooping to sweep someone else’s house, a stranger and not helping Luom or Tac Ke Bong to sweep the house.
Luom blinked nonstop, yet he still see Quy Rom holding a broom and briskly sweeping the house. He rubbed his eyes, rubbed it to the point of both his eyes turned red, yet it still occurred in front of him. He pinched his own thigh.
He sensed the pain and realized that he was not dreaming nor hallucinating, and not being…affected by the ghost.
As he thought of the word “ghost”, Luom shook and cast his eyes around him. Is the hanging ghost for real? If it’s real, where could it be hiding? Did it see me? Luom nervously looked to his right and then his left, looking for the mango tree Quy Rom mentioned but has not spotted it yet. “That must mean brother Quy fabricated the story!” Luom reassured himself, but then he became anxious, “Might it be the mango tree is outback?”
Luom crept along the mulberry hedge and circled to the back.
Many things instantly came into his vision: A stone well, pig pen, fish pond, and trees such as jackfruit, guava, lemon. In general, there were all sorts of trees except for a mango tree.
“Without the mango tree, there can’t be a little kid climbed up the tree to pick mangoes. Without someone climbing up to pick mangoes then there can’t be a story of a little kid fell from the tree, shoved by a the hanging ghost.” Assured by his rationale, Luom carefully crawled to the front.
Quy Rom already finished sweeping the house. At the moment…he continued sweeping. On his hands, the brrom has changed to a different type of broom.
Luom suddenly shook in surprise (Luom seemed to shake so many times today!). His emotion is even worse than if he saw a ghost. “What happened to brother Quy?” He asked himself and forced his head to come up with an answer.
Luom thinks so intently that vein popped on his forehead, “Maybe this house really has a ghost? Sweeping the house and the front yard is a way to eliminate the evil air?
While Luom thinks really hard to recall all the stories he have heard about the spirit masters clearing out the ghosts, from the house suddenly came out a shrill voice:
-You skinny punk! With a small front yard and you can’t even finished sweeping?
Following the voice was someone about Quy Rom’s age and large-built like Tieu Long appeared right at the door frame. His hands on his hips and his face upraised in a manner Luom despised.
Luom doesn’t know who this guy is. Base on his cocky appearance, Luom was sure Quy Rom will angrily throw the broom to the ground, at the very least argued a few words.
He didn’t expect his older brother to soften like a jellyfish.
- I’m almost done!
Quy Rom nicely answered and bended down to sweep vigorously.
Luom opened his mouth in disbelief as if the sky just fell on his head.
Not finished, that guy even growled:
-Okay, leave the front yard for sweeping later! Why don’t you go prepare food for the pigs!
Suddenly Luom felt his body turning weak with no strength inside. In place of his legs were two pieces of wood. Quy Rom turned around and went inside the house for a while yet Luom couldn’t move his feet. He was really sad! Extremely sad!
Tieu Long furrowed his brows:
- Are you sure Quy Rom didn’t go battle with the ghost?
-Sure
-Then where could your brother Quy been to all these days?
-He is a house servant?
Tieu Long looked like a bullet just whizzed by his eye.
-What? – He firmly held Luom’s shoulders – What do mean by being a house servant?
- Exactly what I said! – Luom bitterly replied – Meaning he sweeps the house, sweeps the front yard, cooks food for the pigs, and does many other tasks.
- I understand. – Tieu Long exhaled loudly – Please don’t called him a house servant. Call it helping around the house because it sounds nicer and more civilized.
In the middle of speaking, Tieu Long suddenly spoke out loud:
- Wait! Quy Rom really is helping someone else with the chores? How could something that strange take place?
His eyes bored intently at the little kid:
- Maybe you’ve snapped something in your head, right Luom?
Tieu Long wanted to shock Luom with his question, but it didn’t cause Luom to be mad one bit. He sadly replied:
- That question is more suitable for brother Quy.
Not waiting for Tieu Long to follow up, Luom depressingly recounted what he saw occurred this morning.
The two were sitting at the edge of the well out in the backyard. Rays of light shone on their face but Tieu Long didn’t even notice. He opened his eyes wide and took in all the details recounted by Luom, his face appeared longer and resembled a cucumber.
- Are you telling the truth Luom? – Tieu Long breathed heavily after the kid had finished.
- If you don’t believe me then come with me tomorrow.
- I believe you. – Tieu Long ran his fingers through his short hair – I’m just asking. It’s all too sudden!
Luom punched the well’s wall. In his anger, he forgot he is not student of martial art like Tieu Long. Luom punched too hard and he grimaced while grabbing his fist:
- I am furious at the punk inside the house. He yells at brother Quy like a father yells at his son. I watched from outside the hedge and felt my blood boiling.
- As a day helper working for someone, one has to bear such nonsense.
- If I’m brother Quy, I already threw the broom into that kid face. – Luom grinded his teeth so hard it made sound – Who cares. What ever happened, happened! At worse, I’ll just walk home and quit.
- You are starting to speak nonsense, Luom.
Tieu Long gently reminded Luom and looked up at the starfruit tree, sighed:
- There has to be a reason for your brother Quy display of patience.
Luom protruded his lower lip:
- I can’t see a good reason. Coming back here for a summer vacation, all of a sudden started working for someone else, not to mention bowing down for other people to yell at you.
Luom was not a person who likes to gossip. However, his words rang true. Tieu Long knew Quy Rom is someone who has self-respect, he rather died than face humiliation. But according to Luom’s story, it seemed Quy Rom rather be humiliated than faced a summary dismissal this morning. “The skinny kid is facing something?” Tieu Long pressed his forehead to the point of caving it in, yet he was unable to come up with something inspirational.
Seeing Tieu Long speechless, Luom pressed on:
- Do you think I’m right?
Tieu Long smiled weakly:
- I think your brother Quy probably is needing money.
- Needing money?
- Right! High school and college students continue to work part time in the summer is a normal course of thing.
- But opportunities abound for someone resourceful like brother Quy. Moreover, if he wants to work as a day helper, why didn’t he work in the city? Working in the countryside doesn’t earn him that much money.
One more time Luom was being right and one more time, Tieu Long found his mouth clamped shut. He looked up the starfruit tree branch, and then looked beyond the hedge. Beyond the hedge is a rice field. Beyond the three plots of rice field lay the sugarcane field, and then one reached the stream running through the hamlet. Tieu Long reflecting on summer of last year when him and Quy Rom sat for hours underneath the bamboo shades by the stream to fish. Bored with fishing, they would hang out with the two sisters Ti Ti Muoi Muoi or followed Luom down Cat Co hill to see De Lua. The exciting summer days are gone. All because Quy Rom been gone all day. All because Quy Rom needed money, Quy Rom rather faced humiliation than being fired. Tieu Long was not sure whether to lecture his friend or to sympathize for him. His heart suddenly became heavy.
- All right! – Finally Tieu Long opened his mouth to say – Tomorrow morning I will go with you. I have to see what your brother Quy is up to in order to form a conclusion. By the way!
- Yes bros.
- Don’t leak this story to Quy Rom okay. Pretend like we all don’t know anything.
- I already knew that.
Tieu Long once again reminded:
- Even with Tac Ke Bong, don’t mention a word to him.
- But the last few days he has been peppering me with questions. – Luom voiced his anxiety.
- Don’t pay him any attention.
- He threatened me that if he found out I hid something from him, he will stop herding the cows for me.
- Not an issue. – Tieu Long blinked several times – You keep telling him that you haven’t found out Quy Rom’s whereabouts. Tell him that your brother Quy is like secret agent 007, it will take about a month, if you are lucky, to find out his whereabouts.
- Who is secret agent 007? Is this man even more skillful than detective Sherlock Holmes?
- This guy? – Tieu Long scratched the back of his ear. He had only seen 007’s movie once – Um um…they both are skillful. Never mind, you don’t need to know who 007 is. Just remember don’t open your mouth with anyone concerning your brother Quy.
Luom refused to give up. All of a sudden, he became an inquisitive person.
- But why do I need to keep from revealing to Tac Ke Bong? – Luom shook his bros’ hand – I thought I just need to keep the secret from my father and mother.
- Oh Luom! – Tieu Long blinked – Are you not saddened when you saw your brother Quy all of a sudden swept the house, cooked food for the pigs, and then got yelled and screamed at, got bossed around by someone else?
- Of course! – Luom cast his eyes downward.
- If you are Quy Rom, would you like other people to know about it?
- Well, well…no.
- Why not?
Luom bit his lips:
- Because I would be…embarrassed.
Tieu Long swung his hands excitedly, his voice raised:
-Your brother Quy is the same. The reason Quy Rom has to go around in circle because he doesn’t want anyone to see him going to do chores for someone else.
In the midst of speaking loudly, Tieu Long lowered his voice in resignation:
- Quy Rom is suffering in his heart and you rather let Tac Ke Bong knows about it? Do you want to embarrass your brother Quy?
- I will not tell anyone. – Luom speaking under his breath. Tieu Long’s overly dramatic speech caused his upper nose to feel slightly moist.
Tieu Long slapped the kid in his back, his voice satisfied:
- In the end, only you and I know. Remember that!

Trả lời với trích dẫn
Cũ 28-10-2009, 09:40 PM
Akô Nô Akô Nô đang ẩn
Super Moderator

Mặc định

Chapter 5

Luom remembers well.
That is why during dinner that night, he sat chewing on his toothpick the whole time, disregarding whatever Quy Rom said.
- How is your fight with the ghost coming along dear? – Autie Nam scooped rice into the bowl and asked out of curiousity.
- Still the same auntie. – Quy Rom answered sheepishly.
- What do you mean still the same? – Tac Ke Bong interrupted.
Quy Rom muttered:
- Still the same means nothing is going on like a sweet potato.
Uncle Nam Chieu briefly overheard them, he leaned toward Quy Rom:
- What’s wrong dear? You want some sweet potatoes? Lemme tell your auntie to boil you a pot full of…
- Well…well…not really uncle…- Quy Rom shook his head – I mean the fight with the ghost is not making any progress.
- Anything else but a hanging ghost must be pretty tough you know! – Auntie Nam Sang admiringly said.
- Autie you are so right. – Quy Rom quickly responded. – This ghost is really something. I pasted 30 odd pieces of spell on the door, it blew them all down the ditch.
While Tieu Long and Luom tried hard to suppress their giggle, Tac Ke Bong continued to be painfully honest:
- Does the ghost continue to chase and attack you on your way home?
- Of course! We battle each other everyday. My arms are sore from fighting. – Quy Rom extended and curled his arms while breathing loudly.
Auntie Nam Sang put the half-fill rice bowl on the table and worriedly looked at Quy Rom:
- You have to be careful dear. Helping someone else is good, but you have to look after your own life.
- Auntie, don’t worry. – Quy Rom pulled back and smiled – At the moment I can’t inflict any damage to it, but it also couldn’t do anything either. In general, we are, I forgot, the ghost and I are locked in a stalemate.
The evening’s conversation revolved around the intense battle between Quy Rom and the hanging ghost. To be correct, there were only two main characters sitting at the table: Tac Ke Bong with his rounds of questions while Quy Rom fed him his tall-tale.
At one of the climaxes of the story, meaning the part when Quy Rom was being careless and the ghost held him above ground by his ankle (but at the last moment the skinny protagonist would always manage to wiggle free), Auntie Nam Sang would interrupt with a few words of caution. Uncle Nam Chieu silently ate and didn’t add anything. Only when he senses his wife became too worried he loudly said, “He is that skillful, don’t worry too much!”
Only Tieu Long and Luom remained focus on their rice bowls. From beginning to end they didn’t say a word. Nothing on their faces would reveal anything overtly suspicious, and Quy Rom was too busied spinning tall-tale to notice. Moreover, Quy Rom was sure that Tieu Long is mad at him. That’s why the fat kid’s silent was something easy to understand.
Quy Rom didn’t know Tieu Long already knew his secret.
That was why the next morning, while he was busied “battling the ghost” by sweeping the house and garden at the stranger’s house, he didn’t notice there were two heads hiding behind the hedge silently observing him. Among the two, the one with the bigger head was on the verge of collapsing and faint while the smaller head would tap slightly on the bigger head while muttering: “Stay calm, be calm bros!”
Needless to say, the smaller head belong to Luom and the bigger one was Tieu Long. Tieu Long, despite being forewarned by Luom and his story of Quy Rom helping someone with household chores, meaning mentally he has been prepared to face the harsh reality; however, when he himself saw his best friend stooping over to sweep and clean, he couldn’t remain calm.
“Luom did not make up the story!” Tieu Long bitterly muttered to himself when the big bully appeared in the front yard, his mouth wide open to scare his friend:
- You skinny kid! Don’t drag your feet! Go out back to peel the banana! Hurry!
Tieu Long angrily reacted but Luom already held on to his hand:
- Please don’t bros!
- Please don’t what! – Tieu Long gritted his teeth – I’m so mad I’m seeing stars in front of me.
- But…
- No “but” whatsoever! – Tieu Long pulled back his fist – I admit that guy is pretty big, but I only need to hit him once and he will be rolling on the ground.
- I know, I know. You probably don’t even need to move your arms and feet. You only need to blow him with your breath and he will be on the ground.- Luom attempting to appease his ‘bro’. In his frantic state, he was not aware he spoke with Quy Rom’s smooth and buttery mouth.
- I am mad to the point of boiling over! – Tieu Long punched his chest and spoke under his breath – I can’t understand why Quy Rom is so scared of that guy. He just needs to say something to me and I will…
- Let’s crawl out back bros! – Seeing the “killer air” raising out of his older friend, Luom interrupted.
- To do what?
- Observe what brother Quy is up to?
- He is peeling the banana plants. – Tieu Long in a foul mood – Didn’t you hear that guy said so!
The two crawled low to the ground and along the mulberry hedge out back.
As expected, Quy Rom was sitting next to the pig pen. He was peeling the banana plants. The long banana plants were tall like beams supporting the house. The top covered Quy Rom face, who was sitting on a stool low to the ground.
Luom has never seen a man sitting and peeling banana plants. From when he was little until now, he has only seen his mom, De Lua’s sister, and Mrs. Sau Thom peeling banana plants. A man peeling banana plants is something odd. A man named Quy Rom peeling banana plants is something strange entirely.
The surprise caught both Luom and Tieu Long as if someone put a bag over their heads.
Luom felt his breath became labored as if the oxygen has been drained from the air around them. Next to him, Tieu Long has the sensation of sitting on a piece of hot metal. He wiggled around and looked at Luom:
- Let’s go home kiddo!
- Okay.
- My eyes are starting to itch.
- Mine too.
- Everybody needs money right.
- Right.
- But earning money in the style of your brother Quy is something I’m not interested in.
- I’m also not interested.
- If I sit here any longer, I’ll probably jump in and kick the punk owner’s ass.
Luom was in the midst of adding something else to the last statement but he suddenly caught himself:
- If I jump in, he probably beat me like a dirt blanket!
Tieu Long and Luom didn’t return home right away.
The two stopped by the post office near Nga Ba market.
Previously, if he wants to call Lil’ Hanh living in the city, Tieu Long had to catch the bus to the district center quite far from here. From the day it separated from the district, Dau Cau neighborhood, lined along the national highway, was selected to be the main city of a new district, and a new post office sprung up along Nga Ba market.
Tieu Long used one hand to cradle the headset, and the other hand pushed Luom away, who is trying hard to press closer to the earpiece to listen in.
- To summarize, what do you think Hanh? – After depressingly recounted what he saw earlier, Tieu Long nervously asked his little smart friend.
- What do you think Long? – Lil’ Hanh asked from the other end of the line.
Tieu Long was bitter:
- I can’t understand the skinny kid! Really strange!
- That was not an answer.
- What?
- The last statement was simple an announcement of your emotion. – Lil’ Hanh giggled mischievously into the headphone – I wanted to ask, why do you think Quy is doing it?
- It’s clear the skinny kid needs the money.
- What would he do with money?
Tieu Long snorted:
- I don’t know what he does with it!
This time, Tieu Long waited a long time and didn’t hear a response from Lil’ Hanh. He dazedly removed the headphone from his ear, looked at the phone a bit and listened to it while yelling into the mouthpiece:
- Hello! Hanh, are you still there?
- I’m here. Why are you trying to scream through my eardrum!
- That’s because you were so quiet!
- I was thinking.
- Did you think up something?
- Done.
Tieu Long held his breath:
- And?
Lil’ Hanh was brief:
- Quy doesn’t need money.
- What? – Tieu Long exclaimed, disbelieving in his own ears.
- That’s right. – Lil’ Hanh nonplussed – I think Quy is doing it not for the money.
- What’s the main reason then?
- According to Hanh’s opinion…. – Lil’ Hanh suddenly stuttered.
Lil’ Hanh’s slow response annoyed Tieu Long:
- Good ol’ Hanh! Do you know how much each “umm” of yours is costing me in phone fee?
Pretending not to hear the chubby kid’s sarcasm, Lil’ Hanh asked:
- Besides the kid you are telling me, was there anyone else in that house? Could it be that he lives by himself?
The question caught Tieu Long by surprised and he was unable to answer.
He realized he didn’t take into account this important possibility:
- Umm, umm…I’m not quite sure.
Luom and I just peered in from behind the mulberry hedge.
Lil’ Hanh cleared her throat:
- Then Long has to continue observing…
- To see if someone else is in the house?
- Right.
- Hanh’s voice sounded like she was smiling – Hanh guesses there is a pretty girl inside that house.
- What? – Tieu Long jumped as if he was bit by a snake, he almost dropped the phone receiver to the ground – You mean the skinny kid has a thing for…a girl?
- Long, you are using an unpleasant word! – Lil’ Hanh snorted.
If the phone was a camera phone, undoubtedly Tieu Long would see his little friend grimaced – This is called…
- Ah ha, it’s called “life’s first quake”! – Tieu Long all of a sudden yelled, his face bright and happy like Archimede the scientist when he discovered the buoyancy of water.
- What’s “life’s first quake”!” Luom listening in all this time, suddenly opened his mouth to ask.
Tieu Long covered the mouthpiece so that Lil’ Hanh couldn’t hear.
He leaned down and whispered in the little kid’s ear:
- Life’s first quake means being infatuated with a girl.
When he pressed his ear to the phone again, Tieu Long jumped to hear Lil’ Hanh asked:
- Who’s that standing next to you?
- Well, Luom.
- What did you just say to him?
Tieu Long uncontrollably scratched the back of his head:
- I didn’t say anything.
Hanh’s voice became cold:
- Didn’t you just explain to him “life’s first quake” and being infatuated with a girl is one?
- How did you know?- Tieu Long opened his mouth as if he just saw a frog leaping out of the phone receiver.
- I heard him asked.
– Lil’ Hanh easily answered – And I knew that was your explanation because it’s the simplest explanation that doesn’t required any thinking.
Tieu Long tried hard to pretend he was angry:
- Hanh, don’t be suspicious of everything.
- Long, don’t pretend to be angry.
- Lil’ Hanh protruded her lips on the other end – If you didn’t explain it like that then you didn’t need to cover the receiver.
His little friend’s last sentence hit home like the legendary punch of the boxer Muhammad Ali.
Tieu Long was knocked out.
He knew with a super smart girl like Lil’ Hanh, it’s best to not lie.
It’s not everyday that Tieu Long became embarrassed.
At this time he shyly smiled:
-Hanh, you are really talented.
It’s almost as if you have a third eye.
Lil’Hanh suddenly asked a non-related question:
- Long, do you still remember the two sisters Ti Ti and Muoi Muoi?
- Of course I do.
– Tieu Long’s eyes lit up – The skinny kid was totally infatuated with Muoi Muoi.
- Infatuated was an overstatement! – Lil’ Hanh interrupted – But clearly when he saw this girl, Quy must have felt something….
- What do you mean something? Something what?
- Something that causes Quy to…daydream…
- Meaning he went head over…- Tieu Long hit himself and rolled his tongue – Meaning he experienced his first quake in life.
Lil’ Hanh continued without paying heed to the chubby kid’s stuttering:
- According to my opinion, Quy is probably experiencing that feeling…
- I understand, Hanh.
– Tieu Long rubbed his nose – Gonna hang up, okay?
- Okay.
Long, remember to investigate carefully okay.
Before he could hang up, Tieu Long already heard the familiar “tu…tu…” sound from the earpiece.
Lil’ Hanh already hung up on him.

oOo

Tieu Long turned to Luom:
- Let’s go!
- We are going home?
- No.
This time you and I are returning to that house.
- For what?
Tieu Long swung his hand:
- Why don’t you just come with me.
As for the reason why we are turning back, I’ll tell you later.
Tieu Long was walking and talking at the same time.
Luom trailed behind, his mouth nonstop:
- We are going to find “that little something” right bros?
It was like Luom just strung a line in front of Tieu Long’s feet.
He stopped, opened his eyes wide and looked at the little kid:
- “That little something” is what?
Luom retreated one step, his neck shortened:
- I don’t know.
I just overheard something earlier.
- Hmm! And you opened your mouth!
Tieu Long continued moving forward.
This time Tieu Long walked at a brisk pace and Luom has a hard time catching up.
When he reached Tieu Long, he spoke rapidly:
- Is it true we are going to look for “that little something”?
- Yes.
- Please tell me! “That little something” is really what?
- I’ll tell you once we arrived there.
Luom cleared his throat:
- I can guess even though you are not telling me.
- What do you know?
- “That little something” is a girl, right?
- You already knew and you still asking me? – Tieu Long growled in his throat – Why don’t I just beat you up!
Luom stuckk out his tongue.
It’s clearly he doesn’t take his bros’ threat seriously.
He stayed quiet for a moment, and then asked again, out of curiosity:
- Brother Quy likes that girl right?
- You little! How should I know!
Tieu Long frowned.
He raised his fist at he spoke but Luom already wisely moved away a distance.
The sun already came up past the bamboo tree and those who went out to the market earlier that day were starting to return.
The road leading to the tile ceiling houses suddenly became busy, which caused Tieu Long to have second thought:
-Be careful Luom.
Make sure your brother Quy doesn’t see you.
-Don’t you worry.
Brother Quy is still cooking for the pigs or chopping woods at this hour.
- Who knows.
If he decided to head home he will surely run into us.
Tieu Long was overly concerned.
Quy Rom didn’t return.
When the two kids crouched outside the mulberry hedge looking in, they already saw the kid owner in front of the doorway, his back facing the outside, hands on his hips, and his voice deafening.
- Don’t tell me lie now, Quy?
- I never speak falsely.
You don’t know me, speaking falsehood is the one thing I hate the most in this life.
Quy Rom’s voice responded from somewhere inside the house.
Tieu Long and Luom cast their eyes all over the house but could not see him.
However, hearing Quy Rom’s reassurance from the inside, Tieu Long almost dropped down and laughed out loud.
Quy Rom is the master of lies, and in his repertoire of lies from back then until now, the one sentence the skinny kid just uttered has to be the lie of all lies, the most outrageous and unbelievable lie.
Yet the kid owner believed him.
- Right, I see that you seem honest and hard-working.
- As for me, I always have faith in brother Quy.
Another voice rang up, also from somewhere inside the house.
However, unlike Quy Rom’s voice, when this sweet voice hit their ears, both Tieu Long and Luom suddenly looked at each other, their faces in shock.
Luom stuttered:
- “Something….that….that is something…”
Tieu Long also matched Luom in stuttering:
- That’s “it”…The “it”….Lil’ Hanh….Lil’ Hanh was right…
Tieu Long quickly lowered his head, his hand pinched his nose.
He was afraid he would sneeze out of shock.
Luom kicked his bros’ foot:
- Yo, he is heading outside!
Right on the mark, the older brother was on his way toward where Tieu Long and Luom were hiding.
- Oh no! He saw us.
– Luom tried to turn his body smaller, his face green.
- No! – Tieu Long reassured his little friend – He probably just want to go pee.
From his body language I can tell this guy is the master of peeing outside.
Luom didn’t have time to recover, already his face was turning ashen.
He moaned and covered his head at the same time:
- What shall we do? He could pee on our heads!
However, the kid house owner only walked around the front yard, his face deep in thought.
He then turned inside the house, blocked the doorway, and again, with his hands on his hips.
He lifted his chin toward the direction Tieu Long and Luom could only guess where Quy Rom was standing.
- So you are an excellent student then?
- I’m okay.
– Quy Rom responded sheepishly.
The kid kicked the air, his voice frustrated:
- If you are okay then don’t show off!
- Brother! – The little sister sounded.
- Why don’t you just quietly sit there, Gai! – The older brother growled – Let me reveal this punk’s true intention!
- I’m not being a punk, okay Thoi! – Quy Rom responded – Don’t you say so.
The older brother, this time his name revealed to be Thoi, thought a little bit and shrugged his shoulder:
- Okay fine.
We will worry later about you tutoring my sister in math.
This time why don’t you go carry water buckets and fill the water-tank.
Outside the hedge, Tieu Long nudged Luom:
- Home!
- We are not waiting to see “that little something?”
- “That little something”! – Tieu Long grimaced and added – Without looking I already knew this Gai girl is really pretty.
If she is ugly then Quy Rom would not come here and be this kid’s little servant.
Reaching the national highway, Tieu Long tugged Luom and ran quickly.
Past Sat Bridge, he still didn’t slow down.
Only when he reached the road leading home, he then released the little kid’s hand to see who ran out of breath first.
Luom wasn’t the one who ran out of breath first, his voice slightly hurt:
- Why did you run so fast as if a ghost was after us! I almost ran out of air here.
Tieu Long was also tired to the point of doubling over.
His voice raspy:
- You are such an idiot! If Quy Rom suddenly came home and saw us standing here, he wouldn’t be suspicious.
- You are being an idiot! Brother Quy still has to fill the water-tank, he couldn’t go home even if he wanted to.
With his skinny physique, he wouldn’t be able to fill the whole tank the whole afternoon.
Luom responded. And Tieu Long unable to respond.
On one hand, he was truly tired. On the other hand, he recognized that this kid was right on the mark.
He realized he is a “dim-witted kid”.

Trả lời với trích dẫn
Cũ 28-10-2009, 09:41 PM
Akô Nô Akô Nô đang ẩn
Super Moderator

Mặc định

Chapter 6

Tieu Long asked Luom:
- Do you read a lot, Luom?
- I rarely read. – Luom blinked – In the countryside, it’s hard to find books to read.
- Then do you know about the story of the Bamboo and 100 Rings?
- Ah, I know this story.
– Luom voice rang high, but he suddenly became downcast – However, I read this story a long time ago, I could barely recall it.
Tieu Long looked up the bamboo grove and tsk:
- The story was about a rich landowner.
He had an extremely beautiful daughter.
However, he was very cunning and deceptive.
In order to take advantage of the honest house helper, he falsely said, “Keep staying and working hard for me, stay up late and wake up early, and I will marry my daughter Ut to you.”
Luom looked at Tieu Long
- The rich landowner is this Thoi kid, right?
- You are really smart, Luom.
– Tieu Long patted his younger friend’s head, his voice happy – The rich landowner is Thoi.
The daughter Ut is that girl, Gai, and the house servant is really your brother, Quy.
Luom bit his lip to think.
His face a little bit naïve:
- Then Thoi is planning to marry his sister to brother Quy?
Tieu Long didn’t answer.
He covered his face and spoke loudly:
- No, your brother Quy is still too young to get marry!
- Who told you Quy Rom wants to have a wife! – Tieu Long laughed – I was using analogous example so you can understand.
Luom’s forehead wrinkled:
- If brother Quy doesn’t want to marry Thoi’s little sister to be his wife, then why would he want to come to Thoi’s house to help him?
Tieu Long has a feeling Luom is pushing him into a topic he really doesn’t know about.
He cleared his throat and slowly retreated:
- When you get older you will understand.
Now, even if I explain until my throat dry, you still won’t be able to understand.
Luom is a cruel kid.
He barred his teeth and grinned:
- Or maybe even you don’t understand?
- Why not!
Tieu Long face reddened.
He took in one breath, bravely explained while trying hard to recall what he overheard Quy Rom explained to De Lua the meaning of a “special friend”:
- Your brother Quy is still young, of course he doesn’t think about a wife and children.
However, when he likes a girl, he doesn’t want that girl to go out with anyone beside him, do you understand dumbo?
“Do you understand dumbo?” is something Quy Rom often used when he had to explain something difficult to Tieu Long.
At this time, Tieu Long re-used the four words question on Luom with the intention of stopping him from asking more questions on a topic he himself barely understood.
He glanced at the kid’s naïve face and happily pressed on:
- Thoi’s little sister is the same.
Quy Rom wants this Gai to just hang out around him, and that is why he keeps showing up for Thoi to boss around…
Luom frustrated:
- In the future, he even volunteers to tutor that girl in math.
Tieu Long hit Luom’s shoulder, a signal that the conversation should end soon:
- Girls guys dynamic is really complicated. Don’t think too much about it or your head will ache.
Luom snorted:
- And what about tomorrow? Are we going to go hide outside Thoi’s hedge again?
- No need!
- No need to see that “little something’s” face too?
- Also no need!
- And continue to refrain from talking to others about this too, right?
- Right! Don’t talk to anyone.
- Then what am I going to do tomorrow?
- Herding cows.

oOo

Quy Rom remained clueless.
He was confident that Tieu Long “the idiot” remains Tieu Long “the idiot” and Luom the country bumpkin remains a country bumpkin.
He didn’t know Luom’s talent now surpasses Sherlock Holmes’ by far, while Tieu Long had became Sherlock Holmes’ teacher from who knows when.
That was why later that night, when Auntie Nam Sang worriedly checked up on him, Quy Rom continued to gloat:
-Auntie, don’t worry auntie! The hanging ghost is really mean, truly is, but before I return to the city, I will surely let it knows my talent.
- So you found a way to counter it right?
- Yes, last night I thought of 18 solutions. – Quy Rom continued to gloat – I’m just not quite sure which solution to use to avoid wasting too much…calories.
While Luom kicked Tieu Long’s foot under the table, Tac Ke Bong looked at Quy Rom with admiration:
- You thought of 18 different solutions?
- Yes!- Quy Rom casually answered – To be exact, last night I thought of 25 different solutions, but calculating back and forth, I decided to eliminate 8 solutions. This 8 solutions were too complicated, plus too costly for the house owner, while I wanted this whole thing to be free…
- What is “Pppp….ri?” – Tac Ke Bong frowned.
Quy Rom was going too far, in his excitement, he unknowingly spoke an English word.
- Well…well…- He scratched his ear, unsure of himself – Ppp….ri…is the language of Hell, meaning free, free of charge…
Fearing Tac Ke Bong has the itch to continue questioning the language in Hell, Quy Rom suddenly does something that never in his life he thought he would never do, and that was picking a large piece of meat and put it into Tac Ke Bong’s bowl, at the same time welcoming:
- Why don’t you eat!
However, Tac Ke Bong only held his rice bowl and then put it down, causing Quy Rom to grimace.
Tac Ke Bong was chewing and talking at the same time:
- Within the 18 solutions, is there one that I can learn? Something easy to learn!
- Your meaning?
- I mean I want to learn a few simple ways to eliminate ghosts. In case you are too busy studying and this hamlet has a ghost…
Quy Rom waved his hands back and forth, stopping Tac Ke Bong from expressing his wish:
- You can’t really learn! There is no simple way. This is to fight ghost, not…
Not knowing what really possesses Luom, but all of a sudden he blurted out loud, so quick that even if Tieu Long wanted to stop him, he can’t:
- I think the simplest way is to sweep the house and the front yard!
There was a feeling of Luom placing a large cabinet into Quy Rom’s mouth. In the midst of talking, Quy Rom suddenly stopped death in his track, his mouth wide open and he couldn’t close it. Fortunately for him, there wasn’t a fly that flew by at the time.
Tieu Long pinched Luom really hard on his waist, causing the kid to jump. Any other times, he would open his mouth wide to argue. However, knowing he committed a major booboo, he clamped his mouth and tried to bear the pain. He stole a glance toward Quy Rom.
Quy Rom sat still like a ground god. He then slowly turned toward Luom, his eyes bore into the young kid:
- What did you just say, Luom?
- I didn’t say anything!- Luom blinked his already darkened eyes, quietly answered, his voice sounded like a lantern almost out of oil.
Quy Rom exhaled and spoke slowly:
- Who told you sweeping the house is the simplest way to rid of ghosts?
Quy Rom lowered his voice and asked for the second time. Luom was on the verge of crying. It was almost like he just received two canes from his skinny brother.
But clearly today wasn’t his day to cry.
The person who accidentally saved him was Auntie Nam Sang. She smiled and said:
- Who doesn’t know that technique eh? Before starting the ceremony, those ghost masters always forced the house owner to sweep and clean the house. It’s akin to someone burning “paper dragons”.
Tac Ke Bong was clueless:
- “Burning paper dragons”, what does it mean mom?
- It is like this. – Auntie Nam Sang had not opened her mouth when Tieu Long enthusiastically interrupted. He wanted to steer the conversation away from Quy Rom’s suspicion –Meaning the business people roll a bunch of paper money into a bundle and lit it on fire, then they wave the bundle around places they think is bad for business or at someone who they think is bad for business…
- Ah, that’s so! – Tac Ke Bong was relieved, his face brightened – If all that’s take to eliminate ghosts was to sweep the house, then I can do it without the skinny kid helping me!
Tac Ke Bong’s statement put an end to the conversation surrounding Quy Rom and the ghost. From then on until the end of the meal, Tieu Long and Luom relaxed when they saw that Quy Rom had brightened considerably and didn’t mention anything about “sweeping the house” anymore.
Tieu Long twisted Luom earlobe when the two hid behind the pile of hay.
- That’s for speaking out of place!
- I accidentally spoke outloud. – Luom cradled his ear – It’s all because I heard brother Quy running on with his mouth, my mouth also itches!
Tieu Long widened his eyes:
-Detective Sherlock Holmes never open his mouth when it itches.
Luom contracted his neck:
- I know it’s my bad!
Tieu Long exhaled:
- Fortunately for us, your mom intervened at the right time, and the skinny kid didn’t get suspicious.
- Right, really fortunate!
Tieu Long turned serious:
- However, if you spoke out of turn again, everything will be revealed.
Luom raised his hand in the air:
- If I spoke out of line again, I swear Ha Ba will…
- Don’t blindly swear! If you accidentally mention me peeling banana or cook pig food, then Ha Ba will grab your legs, Luom.
Quy Rom’s voice suddenly rang out, and from behind the haystack, someone skinny slowly walked out.
Even if a real hanging ghost was to appear at this time, Tieu Long and Luom probably wouldn’t be as surprised.
- You…you…- Tieu Long only uttered two words and he stared at the skinny kid.
Luom was even worse. In his speechless state, the raised hand in the air could not even be lowered, it hung in the air as if it suddenly turned into a dead branch.
-Put your hand down, Luom! – Qui Rom poked the kid’s armpit – It’s me, not a prime minister, you don’t need to salute like that!
Luom lowered his hand, to be exact it dropped to his side, because he couldn’t control himself.
- Brother….brother…
-Why is it that you guys keep saying “you..you..” and “brother…brother…” as if both been inflicted with the evil wind!
- So it was you…- Tieu Long moved his jaw with difficulty, and he could only speak one more word than the last time, his voice hoarse as if his throat has an infection.
- You guys are really good!
Qui Rom was complimenting them, but Tieu Long and Luom didn’t feel elated at all. The two held their breath, waiting for the harsher words that are going to be poured on them.
However, this time, Qui Rom was truly complimenting them. He patted Tieu Long in the back:
- Excellent, chubby! I can’t believe an “idiot” like you can uncover my secret that quickly.
Slowly, Tieu Long felt his confidence returning. He rubbed his nose, cautiously glanced at the skinny kid:
- So you found out we were following you…
Qui Rom shrugged:
- When I praised you guys with my compliment, it means I didn’t know anything. Only when the kiddo Luom accidentally said something during dinner, that was when I found out.
He then nodded his head:
- I am guessing you guys followed me more than one time, right?
- Yeah…yeah…
Qui Rom patted Tieu Long’s back one more time and praised:
-The first time you knocked me 1-0. Truly outstanding, chubby!
He then sighed admiringly:
- If Lil’ Hanh found out you led me around on a circus, she will laugh at me for 3 days and 3 nights without end.
- Lil’ Hanh will not know. – Tieu Long guiltily answered.
- Why wouldn’t she! – Luom again had an itch to speak at the wrong time, no one knows when he found his voice again. – Didn’t you called sister Hanh this afternoon?
Luom’s news caused Qui Rom to feel his anger rising. He quickly turned to Tieu Long:
- You called Lil’ Hanh?
- Uhm…right..- Tieu Long hesitated. Somehow he liked using the word “Uhm” a lot today.
- What did you tell her?
- What did I tell her? – Tieu Long rubbed his cheek as if a mosquito just bit him. – I only told her you are helping someone with house chores. I told her you are working part-time to earn money.
- And what did Lil’ Hanh say?
Tieu Long’s hand unconsciously went from his cheek to behind his head. He scratched his head:
-She said you don’t need the money. She said you are helping someone else for a different reason.
Qui Rom held his breath:
- And what is the reason?
Luom again hastily jumped in:
- Because “that little something!”
Tieu Long widened his eyes:
- I’m gonna hit, Luom.
However, Qui Rom already heard the little kid. His eyes darted from one suspicious face to another:
- “That little something” is what sort of monkey business?
One more time, Luom couldn’t hold himself and stayed silent. He spoke while hurriedly distanced himself from Tieu Long’s reach:
- Not a monkey business but a girl! “That little something” is a girl!
While Tieu Long felt like crying and laughing at the same time, Qui Rom unblinkingly stared at Luom as if he wanted to use his gaze to pin the little kid to the ground. He looked for a long time as if thunder was going to strike. All of a sudden, he lowered his eyes and slowly exhaled:
- Lil’ Hanh guesses right. In that house there is a girl. Her name is Gai, and she is Thoi younger sister.
Luom jumped up and down:
- I knew it! Thoi was the rich house owner. Lil’ Gai was Ut the daughter. And you acted as the dumb house helper, is that right?
Qui Rom widened his eyes and looked at Tieu Long:
- What happened to Luom? Did he eat something he should not eat this afternoon?
- Be quiet, Luom! – Tieu Long growled – Don’t let my hands and feet do the talking.
- Ah! – Qui Rom forced a smile – He meant I was the dumb house helper in the story “The Bamboo with 100 Circles.”
- So my analogy was not incorrect then! – Luom raised his head – If you are not head over heel with Thoi’s little sister then there is no need for you to prepare food for the pigs.
- You spoke without knowing anything! – Qui Rom face reddened.
- Tieu Long also said the same thing. – Luom protruded his mouth to argue – Tieu Long even said Thoi sister is probably really pretty. If she is ugly like a ghost then you wouldn’t stick out your neck for that arrogant kid to boss around.
Qui Rom stuck out his lower lip and let out a sound:
- Even your bros Tieu Long is wrong.
- Then that girl is really ugly or…
- I’m not telling whether Gai is cute or ugly. I am just saying I’m not head over heel over her.
Luom swallowed his saliva:
- Then you went there to sweep the house, the yard, peel bananas, carry water, cook for the pigs for Thoi because you needed the money?
- I also don’t need money. – Qui Rom shrugged – Thoi didn’ t pay me anything.
Luom reached up to pick a strand of hair, his face turned grosteque:
- Then why are you helping?
Tieu Long also quickly chimed in:
- Yeah, why are you helping?
- The story goes like this. – Qui Rom sat down on the floor, his back leaned against the haystack and cleared his throat – The day Tieu Long and Tac Ke Bong busily fixed the cow pen, I pedaled my bicycle to Nga Ba market. While there, I also stopped by Mr. Sau Canh’s brick house and by chance met him there. He now rents that house for someone to put a rice grinder there…
- This invented story you told us once before. – Tac Ke Bong’s voice rang out from somewhere, interrupting – The female owner of that haunted house also carried rice over to grind at Mr. Sau Canh’s house, right? Then, Mr. Sau Canh introduced you two to each other. To be honest, you didn’t want to accept, right? However, the owner cried really hard. Moreover, Mr. Sau Canh standing nearby also kept adding good words…
Tieu Long and Luom were only slightly surprised with the appearance of Tac Ke Bong. If Qui Rom could hide behind the haystack to listen in on them and suddenly came out, then Tac Ke Bong can also do the same. Further more, the three kids suddenly disappeared, inevitably asking for Tac Ke Bong to hurriedly search for them.
Qui Rom also wasn’t surprised. He knew sooner or later Tac Ke Bong will crawl out from behind the haystack. Qui Rom was not surprised. However, he was pissed. Tac Ke Bong kept adding the question marker, “Am I right?”, as if he was a cowboy wielding a gun and raising it up every time he asked a question.
- Incorrect! – Qui Rom yelled – I wasn’t planning to tell you that story. You are good at speaking out of turn.
- Well…- Tac Ke Bong’s face turned clueless – Clearly you are…
- Nothing is clear here. – Qui Rom snorted – Let me ask you this: Is your head still on your shoulder?
- Well…well…
- “Well…well…” what! You answer me!
Tac Ke Bong dazedly touched his forehead:
- My head is right here.
Qui Rom squinted his eyes and continued:
- Except for the eyes and ears, what else is on your head?
Tac Ke Bong lowered his hand and touched his lips:
- My mouth.
- Besides your mouth, what else?
Seeing Tac Ke Bong clueless face, Qui Rom hotly continued:
- Something that comes in pair.
- Ah, my ears.
Tac Ke Bong excitedly anwered, but he suddenly stared at Qui Rom with his brown furrowed:
- Why are you asking me this?
Qui Rom smiled nonstop:
- Ah, what I want is for you to close your mouth and perch your ears to listen to me finish the story. You keep interrupting and jumping in my mouth to sit there, it’s hard for me to finish my story.
Tieu Long and Luom couldn’t contain their laughter, they laughed with Qui Rom.
Only Tac Ke Bong remained impassive.
Well not quite. He did smile, but a crooked smile.

Lần sửa cuối bởi Akô Nô; 28-10-2009 lúc 09:44 PM
Trả lời với trích dẫn
Cũ 28-10-2009, 09:42 PM
Akô Nô Akô Nô đang ẩn
Super Moderator

Mặc định

Chapter 7

On that day, Qui Rom did stop by Mr. Sau Canh house.
He stopped by with no real purpose in mind. Qui Rom was only making his round and that was all. Las year, he helped the gentleman expunged the ghost from this house. And that was when he discovered the person throwing the stones on Mr. Sau Canh house every night was the two little kids hiding in the nearby café shop. There wasn’t a ghost or demon.
Mr. Sau Canh, of course, doesn’t know about this truth. Qui Rom didn’t tell him because at the time, there were these two cashew pickers squatting in his abandoned house every night. Out in the cashew plantation, there were tents for the cashew pickers, mostly kids, to stay overnight. However, out there the wind blows really hard. The younger sister was sick so the older one had to carry her in Mr. Sau Canh’s house to shelter her from the wind. Qui Rom was afraid if he reveals the story, then Mr. Sau Canh will be angry and kicked out the two girls out of his house.
At that time, after Qui Rom pacified the “one-legged demons”, Mr. Sau Canh carried over two chickens and a whole ripened banana stem all the way to Uncle Nam Chieu house to express his gratitude toward Qui Rom. According to him, “Qui Rom the nation’s most skilled ghost master, graduate the top percent from the prestigious Ta Lon mountain.” He spoke with tears: “If you didn’t expunge “them”, I don’t know when I would be able to sell the house.”
That incident occurred last summer and Qui Rom was certain the house had has a new owner. That was why when he biked into Mr. Sau Canh front yard, he didn’t think he would run into his “supporter” in there.
Mr. Sau Canh immediately recognized his “Reverend Master”. He ran outside excited:
- Well, “The Reverend” is stopping by! Please “Reverend”, come in here!
Hearing the grinder running and seeing people standing inside the house, Qui Rom suddenly panicked. He pulled his “fan” to the corner of the yard and whispered:
-Mr. Sau! Please don’t call me a “Reverend” this, “Reverend” that. That sort of title should only be used when “necessary.” If we overused it, then it will lose its “holiness.” Normally, please just use the normal honorific between you and me.
Qui Rom was close to pleading, but to Mr. Sau Canh, his plea was more like an “order” from a “Reverend.” He panicky changed his tone:
- Really? That’s so! Turn out this occupation has its own set of rules and guidelines I didn’t know.
That day, after listened to Mr. Sau Canh, Qui Rom found out Mr. Sau Canh no longer put his house for sale; instead, he rented it for someone to place a rice grinder there.
- Where are you going kiddo? – Mr. Sau Canh asked.
- I’m going out, and you?
- I’m collecting rent today.
Qui Rom was just asking out of politeness. He immediately forgot about Mr. Sau Canh. He opened his eyes wide and stared at the machine with the brand Honda sitting right in the middle of the house. Surrounding it was the ladies and younger girls with bamboo poles on their shoulders, both ends held up baskets full of rice, waiting for their turn. Observing a little bit longer, Qui Rom saw that it wasn’t that hard to operate the machine. First pulled the cord to start the engine, then pour unpolished rice into the big funnel on the top. Polished rice came out on one side, and the other side was the coating. To turn rice into smaller kernels or even grind it to smaller pieces, there were buttons for the desired effect.
Suddenly Qui Rom felt his hands and feet starting to itch. As a toddler, he developed a fascination with machinery. He enjoys the game of taking things apart and putting them together. He had built some small, miniature machines. However, he never had operated a large machine like this rice grinder.
- Uncle Sau.
- Wassup kiddo?
- Who is that operating the machine?
- The machine’s owner, kiddo.
Qui Rom licked his lip, his voice raspy out of nervousness:
- Could you ask him to permit me…operate the machine a little bit?
- Let me check with him. – Mr. Sau Canh eager – Easy thing to do.
Perhaps the machine’s owner already heard about Qui Rom’s “importance” from the house owner so he enthusiastically agreed. He immediately turned the machine off and began to describe the functions of the machine in detailed manner.
Qui Rom stood there and listened, his head constantly nodded.
Then after five minutes, he became the younger machine operator.
The machine’s owner stood there to observe Qui Rom operates the machine and polishes rice for a while, he praised:
- You already mastered the operation, however, you are still a little bit weak on both of your hands, thus when you pull the cord to start the machine, make sure you are careful or the cord will snap into your mouth.
The house owner praised him, Qui Rom was somewhat estatic. However, when he continued, Qui Rom was 100% happy:
-If you like, why don’t you stop by to run the machine everyday. You can earn money, receive a salary.
Qui Rom’s stomach released each knot. He felt giddy, and didn’t even think whether the machine’s owner was just inviting him to please the house owner, or he was truly that well-trained so the machine’s owner noticed. From back then to now, Qui Rom never work anywhere for money, with the exception of the time he helped Tieu Long operate a lottery game to buy a stuffed bear for his younger sibling. Qui Rom family is not upperclass, but they living in poverty either. What ever he needed, he can ask his parents. His parents also don’t want him to work for money. They wanted him to focus on his education. “I usually see those students who work part time over the summer,” Qui Rom complained. “Oh son, those are the ones with difficult family situation, otherwise no parents would want their kids to go work while they are being students,” his mom continued “The adults’ are responsible for earning and providing, while little kids’ responsibility is to study. Wait until you are older to go work for money.”
To now, Qui Rom still remembered his mom’s words. However, he still liked earning money. Qui Rom wanted to make money not because he needed money, but because he believed that it’s a sign of maturity, independence. That was why when the machine owner suggested the idea of working for him, Qui Rom could hardly suppress his excitement.
Qui Rom couldn’t contain his excitement. He planned to polish a few more baskets of rice, and then ran straight home. He wanted to tell Tieu Long the story. He smiled at the enthusiasm he imagined his chubby friend will show. No doubt Tieu Long will speak loudly: “That’s excellent! Please let me come along!” Of course. He even planned to bring the chubby kid along to work alongside him. The chubby kid will start the engine and help customers pour their rice into the large funnel. As for him, he will be a “technician”, responsible for the important task of operating all the automatic buttons.
Qui Rom was estatic. He became a dreamer without even knowing about it. He can see clearly in his head how Lil’ Hanh will be wide eyes with admiration looking at him and Tieu Long showing her their stack of money while bragging: “Us guys worked part time over the summer!”
- Eh kid, rice is spilling out!
A loud voice interrupted Qui Rom’s beatiful daydream.
He turned around and saw kernels of rice shooting out from somewhere from the machine.
Qui Rom looked around and was planning to ask the machine owner for help, but he was no where to be found. Even Mr. Sau Canh was somewhere else and not at his original spot.
Qui Rom worriedly cranked his neck to take a look and saw a round rubber cover sticking out along the top frame of the grinder. The cover had partially popping out of the grinder, and from there kernels of rice spilled out.
Qui Rom planned to come over, but he was busy collecting rice streaming out of the chute.
- Hey kid! – Seeing a girl standing around there, Qui Rom called loudly – Why are you just standing there to watch without lending me a hand?
The girl looked around 13, 14 years old. Her face glowing tan with hair thin and sunburned, and dark yellow ponytail resembling a dry bundle of straws. Hearing Qui Rom’s loud voice, she looked up dazed and confused:
- I don’t know what to do!
Qui Rom blood boiled over:
- Why are you being such a dolt! Close the rubber cover!
- How do you closed it?
- Oh my goodness! Use your hand to press it closed. Don’t you have hands?
The girl exuded an “ah” and hurriedly followed Qui Rom’s command. She used her index finger and pressed on the rubber cover but the pressure pushing forth from within the machine was too great, causing the cover to slightly shook and resist being closed entirely.
Seeing rice continued to spill out from there, steam almost came out of Qui Rom ears from being frustrated:
- Why don’t you use your thumb to press it closed. Your index finger is too weak to be of any used!
The girl immediately followed Qui Rom adviced. The result, after she used her thumb to press on the cover, was that the rubber cover was closed and rice stopped spilling out.
Qui Rom excited:
- You see! I’ve never been wrong!
- Right! You are really talented.
The girl praised. While complimenting Qui Rom, she didn’t press as hard with her thumb. The plaster cover once again popped up and rice started to spill out.
- I’ve never someone as clumpsy as you! – Qui Rom scowed and yelled.
The girl became afraid and pressed down hard.
- Press harder! – Qui Rom yelled loudly – More pressure! More! Use all your strength!
The girl exerted all her strength.
She pressed her lips and teeth together and exerted pressure, her face red.
“Pop!”, the plastic cover was pushed into the grinder by the girl’s thumb. Her whole thumb also followed into the hole.
At that moment, the girl didn’t feel anything out of the ordinary. She heard a small cutting sound, but registered no pain.
She pulled her thumb out, clumsily wiped it on her shirt and apologetically looked at Qui Rom:
- I accidentally pressed down too hard…
However, Qui Rom didn’t answer. His eyes wide opened and staring at the girl, his jaw slackened, and face a greyish color. It appeared as if he just put on a color toned mask.
Mistakenly thought Qui Rom is still angry, the girl nervously said:
- You…you…
The girl is shaking. Qui Rom also stuttered:
- Blood…blood…
The girl confused:
- What is it?
Qui Rom moaned, he was so shocked he didn’t know what to do:
- Look… look… look at your shirt!
At that moment, dozen of mouth joined in unison:
- Oh, blood! Where’s all that blood came from?
- Oh no! Look at the girl’s finger!
Dozen of people rushed toward the girl.
Now the girl saw her shirt red from bloodstain. She just wiped her finger on her shirt. Her thumb is cut almost in half, almost became unattached, and from that cut blood pouring out nonstop.
- Oy…oy…
The girl went into shock, uttered several sounds and then started crying. Now the pain started to register.
- Bring her to the hospital right away!
Someone yelled out. Hearing a familiar voice, Qui Rom turned around to see the owner just returned. He was elated:
- Please watch the machine for me. I’m going to bring her to the hospital.
Another woman accompanied Qui Rom to bring the girl to the hospital next to the post office.
- You stay here okay. I have to go back to the house to watch my baskets of rice. – The woman told him when the doctor arrived.

oOo

After the woman left, Qui Rom sat down on the chair next to the patient’s bed, anxiously looking at the doctor, who is examining the girl’s finger at the moment. His heart was full of regrets. If he didn’t force the girl to close the plastic cover, didn’t hurried the girl to apply more pressure on the cover, the girl’s finger wouldn’t be closed to being cut clean.
- Is it painful? – The doctor asked.
- Yes doctor.
- Bear it a little bit longer, okay. – The doctor held up a metallic tweezer and reassuringly said – I’m going to pick out the broken bone fragments, it will hurt just a little bit.
Qui Rom hairs stand on end hearing the bone fragments disposed into a metal bowl placed by the bed.
- What’s your name? – The doctor asked to keep the girl from paying attention to her fingertip.
- My name is Gai.
-Where do you live?
- It’s right by the Sat bridge.
- What grade are you in?
- I finished 8th grade. After this summer I will enter 9th grade.
The doctor continued his questions, and Gai provided her answers. The sound of bones hitting metal became less and less.
Out of the blue, the doctor said:
- I already picked all the bone fragments out. If you want to recover quickly, you have to saw this finger off.
- No, no! – Lil’ Gai shook. She almost stood up – I don’t want to.
- Okay, there won’t be an operation. – The doctor sighed – But if you leave it on, it will be slow to heal.
- Whenever it heals is fine. – Lil’ Gai happy – Sawing the finger off will be too ugly! I don’t want to saw my finger off, not one bit!
That day, Qui Rom brought Lil’ Gai back to her house.
The two dragged their feet along the main road.
Seeing Lil’ Gai once in a while raised her large bandaged finger to her eyes looking to and fro, Qui Rom became agitated:
- Please allow me to apologize, Gai. – He spoke softly.
- It’s not your fault!
- Entirely my fault. It was my fault for telling you to press really hard on the cover.
- It was my fault. If I didn’t let down my guard…
Qui Rom jumped in:
- My fault.
- No, my fault.
Sensing Lil’ Gai’s unwillingness to accept his apology, Qui Rom made peace:
- Okay, so it was both mine and yours fault.
This time, Lil’ Gai didn’t say anything. After a while, she spoke as if she just recalled something:
- Hmm, how did you know my name?
- You are still young but why you are so easy to forget! – Qui Rom smiled broadly – Didn’t you just told the doctor your name!
- Right. – Lil’ Gai blinked – And you?
- I’m what?
- What’s your name?
- My name is Qui.
- You live in the Duoi village?
- No, I live in the city. Summer vacation, I come here to hang out with Luom and Tac Ke Bong at the Tren village. Do you know those two?
- No. – Lil’ Gai answered softly, her voice suddenly choked up.
Qui Rom stared at her. Despite making an effort to lower her head, Qui Rom still saw tears rolling on her cheeks.
- What happened? – Qui Rom worriedly asked.
- Well, nothing.
- If it’s nothing, why are you crying? – Qui Rom looked down at her bandaged finger, his voice hesitant – Does it hurt badly?
- No.
- Don’t lie to me. If it doesn’t hurt, then why are you crying?
Seeing Lil’ Gai continuing to cry instead of answering him, Qui Rom rubbed his nose and ventured a guess:
- Maybe you are afraid that once you are home, your parents will see your finger and surely will scold you?
- My father passed away a long time ago.
- Then your mother will scold you?
- My mom never scold me. She is paralyze from the waist down, these last few years she’s been lying in one place.
- Then you are the only child?
- I have an older brother.
- Ah! – Qui Rom barely suppressed his excitement – Then you are afraid your brother will lecture you!
Lil’ Gai worriedly answered:
- I’m only worried I can’t do any house chores with my finger looking like this…
Without finishing her sentence, Lil’ Gai started to cry again. Qui Rom looked at her sunburned skin and her dark yellow hairs and suddenly has a sinking feeling in his stomach. He thought, “Right, girls in the countryside usually have thousands of chores. With her family situation, she probably has to work from dawn until dusk. Really pitiful!
- Don’t worry! – Qui Rom generously said. In his generous mood, he changed honorific usage without even knowing it – I will help you, little sister.
Gai’s lips rounded:
- You are helping me?
- Right.
- You are going to sweep the house, carry the water pails, peel the bananas, and prepare pork food for me?
- Right, I will do it all. I’m going to do it until your finger is healed.
Lil’ Gai was touched by Qui Rom’s kindness.
On the road leading home, there were two warmth-hearted individuals walking.
Lil’ Gai is moved but she is still a realist. She looked at Qui Rom from head to toe:
- Can you do it?
Qui Rom put up with his friend’s suspicious eyes. He knew Lil’ Gai is thinking to herself that he is all skin and bones. He knew Lil’ Gai is thinking, “What can this skinny person do?”
Qui Rom suddenly started to feel itchy. He had the sensation as if Gai’s eyes is scanning all over his body. Qui Rom pretended to be indifferent, he didn’t want Lil’ Gai to be disappointed:
- You don’t know me. I am used to doing to house chores
Fearing Lil’ Gai would not believe him, Qui Rom half-opened his eyes and added:
- There are a lot of people in my house. My grandma, father, mother, older brother, younger sister, no one has to do anything. I claim all the tasks, from little one to big ones.
Lil’ Gai looks at Qui Rom with admiration. She doesn’t know why Qui Rom had to close his eyes when he listed all of his accomplishments. Lil’ Gai doesn’t know the skinny kid is the master of lies. Qui Rom is afraid of opening his eyes when he lies. During that time, his eyes dart back and forth akin to a crook’s eyes. Looking at his eyes, the listener will figure out that Qui Rom usually leave the chores, from big ones to small ones, to his grandma, his father, mother, older brother and his younger sister, not the other way around.

Trả lời với trích dẫn
Cũ 28-10-2009, 09:55 PM
Akô Nô Akô Nô đang ẩn
Super Moderator

Mặc định

Chapter 8

Greeting Qui Rom and Lil’ Gai at the front yard was Thoi.
- Who are you bringing home, Gai? – Thoi squinted his eyes to look at Qui Rom, and curiously asked.
Lil’ Gai didn’t have time to answer, Thoi already saw her white bandaged finger:
- Eek! What happened to your hand?
He hurriedly ran over, but Lil’ Gai already hid her hand behind her back.
-Why don’t you let me take a look!
- Nothing to see.
- Wrapped tightly like that and you said nothing to see! – Thoi took his younger sister’s hand – What are you hiding! Let me see!
He pulled Lil’ Gai’s hand close to his face and observed:
- You had a cut?
- Yes, just a little bit.
- That’s not a little bit! – Thoi anxiously looked at his sister – Are you in pain?
- No, not at all.
- Don’t lie!
- I’m speaking the truth. – As if fearing the older brother wouldn’t believe her, she nodded – Right, just a little bit of pain as if ants are biting me.
Thoi frowned:
- What happened to you?
Lil’ Gai secretly glanced at Qui Rom
- Because I…I was careless.
- Careless, and what?
- Well, what? – Lil’ Gai hesitated – Not being careful means I was too careless.
- I’m really tired, Gai! – Thoi growled – Something happened, why don’t you just say it outloud, don’t beat around the bush.
- It’s all my fault! – Qui Rom suddenly spoke. He knew Lil’ Gai didn’t want to reveal the truth. Lil’ Gai was afraid Thoi would be mad and started to beat him up.
Thoi did start to move against him. Qui Rom just spoke outloud and Thoi already held his collar:
- Ah, so you are the guilty one!
- It’s not like that older brother! – Lil’ Gai yelled in panic.
Pretending not to hear her, Thoi continued to exercise his abundance energy. He looked straight at Qui Rom and asked:
- From beginning to end, tell me the details!
Qui Rom, shaken, recounted from beginning until end.
Thoi growled, his face has a killer look:
- Then you are guilty!
He released Qui Rom’s collar. It’s not a gesture of allowing one to be free, instead, it was so that he could free his hand and punched really hard into the “guilty person’s” shoulder, along with a high pitch voice:
- That’s for bossing my sister around.
Qui Rom, if he was not that skinny, wouldn’t be able to withstand such a powerful punch. Unfortunately, he is a skinny kid. He fell on his back with his legs pointing to the sky.

At this point, Luom could not stay quiet anymore. He kicked his foot into the haystack, his face enraged:
- The little rascal!
Tac Ke Bong exhaled:
- So the bruise on your shoulder was from that.
Tieu Long barely contained his anger:
- I’m going to beat him. Sooner or later, I will beat him up.
- Beat! Beat who? Let it goes! – Qui Rom tsk tsk – Everything was caused by me.
- But you did not have bad intention. – Tac Ke Bong defended his friend.
Qui Rom sadly smiled:
- Good intention or not, Gai’s finger is still lacerated.
Luom nervously asked:
- Then what happened after that brother?
Tieu Long answered for Qui Rom because he is still angry at the skinny kid for not letting him take revenge:
- He fell and stood up, struggling to stand up just like a cat that fell in water!
- You are right, chubby! – Qui Rom indifferent – But I didn’t stand up by myself.
Just like Qui Rom narrative, Lil’ Gai was head over heel trying to help him stand up.
While pulling Qui Rom up, Lil’ Gai argued with her brother:
- Older brother, you are rude, punching this person out of the blue.
Thoi ignored his little sister. He pointed at Qui Rom, his voice low:
- You listen to me! My little sister is the main workforce in this family. You cause my sister’s injury, you have to replace her. Everyday you have to come here and obey my order. When my sister’s finger healed, then you are free, understand?
Normally, hearing Thoi arrogant voice, Qui Rom surely will open his mouth wide to argue. However, in this “finger case”, he already felt really bad in the beginning. He felt it was his fault. He also promised Lil’ Gai that he will help her in all of her chores until his little friend’s finger healed. He readily agreed with whatever Thoi demanded.
- Understood! – Qui Rom answered easily.
Thoi was a little bit skeptical when he received Qui Rom’s answer. He sized up Qui Rom from head to toe, up and down, then signal with his chin:
- Where do you lived?
- I live in the Tren neighborhood.
- If you know what’s good for you, you better not escape. – Thoi squinted his eyes – From my house to the Tren neighborhood is really close. If you don’t show up here, I will go there to get you.
Fearing Qui Rom didn’t get his threat, he also threatened:
- If you make me mad, I will sue you at court. For sure you will be sent to jail.
Qui Rom quickly agreed:
- I’m not going to dodge work.
Qui Rom acquiesced so easily caused Thoi to look at him without blinking. Thoi’s suspicious stare lingered on Qui Rom’s face so long, it caused his neck to turn red.
- Why are you staring at me? – Qui Rom grimaced – Once I made a promise, I’d never broken it.
- Good. I temporarily believe in you. – Thoi nodded – This is your first task: you run out to the rice grinder place and polish rice for me. The rice left out there by my little sister this morning.
Lil’ Gai jumped up:
- Let me carry it home.
- You are injured; you can’t do anything worth of salt! – Thoi yelled at her – Let the skinny kid do it!
- I can do it. – Qui Rom looked at Lil’ Gai and reassured her with his smile.
Lil’ Gai looked at Qui Rom. Her eyes wanted to convey something to him. Girls are normally hard to understand, there were things Qui Rom didn’t decipher in that look. He only understood one thing in her eyes: “Skin and bone like you, how would you be able to carry anything!”

oOo

That day, Qui Rom did manage to carry the rice home.
He didn’t carry it on his shoulder, he doesn’t know how. Instead, he borrowed from the owner two large nylon bags. One for the rice, the other for the coating. He then borrowed a few plastic strings, tied one bag behind his bicycle, then biked back. He had to make three trips. The first two times were for the two bags, and the third time was for the baskets and accessories.
Thoi paced back and for in the front yard. Everytime he saw Qui Rom entering the gate he would praise:
- Pretty good, Skinny!
Qui Rom reached this point, Tieu Long exhaled one loud breath:
- So from that point on, you became Thoi’s hired help?
Tac Ke Bong pursed his lips:
- More like his foot soldier!
Luom saddened:
- Then not only the rich old man but even Miss Ut also takes advantage of the hired helper.
- You don’t know anything so don’t blindly guess! – Qui Rom glanced at the runt – With me helping, Lil’ Gai can worry less. However, she doesn’t want her older brother to torture me. A few days ago, she unwound the dressing on her finger and excitedly told her brother, “The wound is healed, Brother. I can do everything now”. Thoi carefully examined his sister’s finger and angrily yelled, “Cover it right away! It’s not healed yet! Do you want to permanently lose your finger, Gai?”.
Luom swallowed hard:
- Then Gai’s finger is not healed?
- Right. – Qui Rom clicked his jaw – With that kind of injury, how could it heal in just a few days? She was doing it just to “release” me.
- That little girl is really kind hearted! – Luom stroked his hair and exclaimed.
- You can say that! – Qui Rom nodded, happy that the runt complimented Lil’ Gai – Because she treats me well, her brother constantly scolds her. She tirelessly covered all the chores inside the house. She wants to share a little bit with me. That is why she has a mild fever yesterday. Her finger constantly twitches.
- What about Thoi? – Tieu Long inexplicably asked – How come he didn’t do anything?
Qui Rom unhappied:
- Lil’ Gai told me her brother is really naughty. I can’t help but agreed with her. He is out on the street everyday and never touch anything with his hands.
- Hmm, sounds like you!
Tieu Long interruption caused Qui Rom to lose his momentum:
- Well…similar…he is not like me! At the least I still love to study. Meanwhile, this Thoi did so well in school that this year, the school held him back one grade and placed him in his sister’s class.
- Thoi doesn’t like to fool around. – Luom jumped in – Everytime I came up there, he was always home.
- He only likes to stay home when he acquires me. – Qui Rom forced a smile – He wants to intimidate me. He really thinks I’m afraid of him.
The story suddenly winded down at this point. Qui Rom ceased to speak. His friends also stopped being curious. Qui Rom and his “exorcism” is no longer a secret. The hanging ghost is nonexistent. In this life, there is only Thoi the bully. Qui Rom never fought with a ghost. Only Thoi beat him up.
Qui Rom comes from a household that doesn’t like to be intimidated. Just because he feels guilty for Gai, he bit his tongue and put up with Thoi. One really feels sorry for him!

A tense atmosphere surrounded the haystack. Tieu Long, Tac Ke Bong, and Luom spaced out for a long time. When they were talking loudly, no one paid attention but now that everything is silent, they can hear the crickets chirping under the haystack.
The musical chirp of the cricket band caused Tieu Long to be depressed. He looked up at the stars glittering through the branches and softly murmured:
- Qui Rom you.
- Wassup?
- About tomorrow.
- What about tomorrow?
Tieu Long had difficulty completing his sentence:
- Tomorrow…tomorrow…we are going to go to Thoi’s house with you.
Qui Rom face disapproved:
- I already said you can’t touch that guy, Thoi.
- My intention is not that. – Tieu Long rubbed his nose – We want to help you sweep the house…
-…help sweep the yard, peel banana, prepare food for the pigs, pour water into the earthern wares!- Like a machine gun that suddenly became unjammed, Luom high-spiritedly spoke in great length as if Tieu Long’s words suddenly found their way into his mouth.
- When I help Lil’ Gai in math, can you guys help me tutor her?
With a simple question, Qui Rom immediately taped shut his friend mouths. With a confused look, Tieu Long became incomprehensible like a mouse that fell into a trap:
- Well…umm…
Nearby, Tac Ke Bong and Luom stood speechless. Tieu Long is a student from the city and his face turned white at the mention of the word “math”, let alone students in the countryside like them. In addition, Gai and her brother are older than them by one or two grades. End of this summer, Tac Ke Bong will enter 8th grade, while Luom will enter 7th grade.
Qui Rom brushed his pants and stood up, his expression serious and his eyes scanned every single face, his voice cold:
- If you guys can’t help me tutor Lil’ Gai in math, then no one among you can come near Thoi house, you hear.
Qui Rom used his cold face. However, he felt warm inside. He knew his friends wanted to lessen his burden. His friends couldn’t stand the thought of him doing hard labor. The most heart warming fact was that they didn’t mention about the hanging ghost. Qui Rom is the king of lies. This time, however, they were sympathetic with his lies.
The next day, Qui Rom poked his head past Thoi’s house gate with a giddy feeling. He no longer had to stealthily put his bicycle at Mr. Sau Canh’s place. He rode his bike straight to his “workplace.”
- Where did you find this piece of junk? – Thoi glanced at Qui’s bicycle and asked out of the corner of his mouth.
- I borrowed it. The same one I used to carry the rice.
- Good! – Thoi nodded – With this bicycle, I can assign you more tasks.
While Qui Rom tensed his stomach in anticipation, Thoi lowered his head to think.
- Ah, I thought of something for you!- Thoi looked up, his face brightened – Don’t sweep the yard yet. Now you bike out to Nga Ba market and buy me a plastic ball. After that, you bike up to…
- Brother! – Lil’ Gai voice rang out. She has been standing by the doorway all along, looking out – Why don’t you bike yourself and buy it, don’t boss Qui around.
Thoi looked at his sister over his shoulder, seemingly upset:
- What’s wrong with you, Gai? Your finger has not healed yet, and this skinny kid has the responsibility to…
- Let him stay home to help me with math. – One more time, Lil’ Gai stubbornly interrupted her brother.
Thoi is a hot tempered person, but he also loves his little sister. This is probably why Qui Rom doesn’t harbor a dislike toward this guy, despite being bullied around from dusk until dawn. Thoi reminded Qui Rom of his own feeling toward his younger sister. From back then onward, Qui Rom really cared for his sister, Diep. Really, really cared for her. Similar to the way Tieu Long intensely cares for his Lil’ Oanh. Now Qui Rom found out another older brother who cares for his little sister no less than him and Tieu Long. That person is Thoi.
Thoi, standing in the middle of the courtyard and assiduously scratching his head, became unsure of himself:
- Oh so you have to do math? Right…right…then I will let the skinny kid stays home..
He snuck a glance at Qui Rom:
- However, I don’t know if this skinny kid is really good at math or not.
That day, Qui Rom for the first time didn’t feel tired from “working”. No sore feet, hands or shoulders, etc…
That whole morning, he sat at one end of the table and enthusiastically explained every intricate details to Lil’ Gai. Tutoring math is Qui Rom’s “strong suit”, despite contradictory pronouncement from his disciples that he is a harsh teacher who likes to yell and lecture. Furthermore, they pronounce they rather go out and pick nylon bags than having him as a teacher.
That was when he tutored Tieu Long and Lil’ Diep.
With Lil’ Gai, Qui Rom was surprised to see himself patience and soft-spoken as if someone else has took over his body. Otherwise, there is no way to explain how he would be able to utter such honey laced words as followed:
- This part is hard to understand, right? Don’t you worry, let me explain it to you one more time so you can understand, okay.
In reality, the hard to understand part was the easiest part to comprehend. If he was tutoring Tieu Long, this would be the part where he would open his mouth wide and lecture, “Oh my god! What is attached to your neck huh Tieu Long?”
With Lil’ Gai, he would not speak to her like that even if someone paid him gold to do it. The whole day he whispered and patiently explained over and over in sections that would only need explaining once or twice.
He put so much effort in tutoring that even Lil’ Gai’s mother, laying in her bedroom, impatiently called out to her daughter:
- Why are you so slow to understand, Gai? Your friend’s throat is dried from explaining to you.
Lil’ Gai mother was certain that Qui Rom is a friend of both Thoi and Lil’ Gai. The first time she heard a stranger’s voice, she inquired and her son responded, “Our friend mom.”
The “friend”, in reality, was not afraid of being hoarse. He was just afraid of sweeping the house, the courtyard, peeling bananas or carrying water pails. He was afraid Thoi will force him to bike a few twenty or so kilometers in the afternoon heat.
- Not to worry, auntie.
Qui Rom reassured Lil’ Gai’s mother and then happily resumed explaining for the eleventh time.
Qui Rom also had his own reason for being happy. If Lil’ Gai is too smart, if she understand the concept right away, then he wouldn’t have that much time to take a break. Thoi will come in to force him to work like a slave. Without much reasoning, Qui Rom understood that sitting behind a table is much more comfortable than having to sit behind the kitchen, near the pig pen to peel the large and long bananas.
That was why, despite his dried throat, his face remained happy and bright.

Trả lời với trích dẫn
Cũ 28-10-2009, 09:59 PM
Akô Nô Akô Nô đang ẩn
Super Moderator

Mặc định

Chapter 9

Qui Rom was a math genius at Tu Do school. He was the pride of the teachers and students at the school last year, the year before, and the year before that.
Among his friends, one even joked once, “With a super-student like Qui Rom as a tutor, someone dumb like a donkey can still attend the international math competition!” Of course the statement was a little bit exaggerated, but it showed that if Qui Rom tutors a student, that person will surely make progress.
That was when Qui Rom still screamed and lectured while tutoring someone. If the math genius reduces his screaming and lecturing, then his “disciple” surely will progress even faster.
Understandably, tutoring someone without the yelling and lecturing is not Qui Rom’s style. However, like the solar eclipse, this rare occurrence occasionally took place.
For 3 days straight, Lil’ Gai didn’t do anything the whole day except praising Qui Rom:
- Qui is really something, brother! He explained math better than my math teacher.
Lil’ Gai would compliment when she walked in the house, and then praised again when she walked outside, to the point that Thoi became annoyed:
- You’re making me deaf!
- I’m speaking the truth.
- Nonsense, not truth!
Lil’ Gai ignored her brother’s bad mood. She blinked and reconciliated:
- Let me ask Qui to also tutor you, okay?
Thoi sounded hurt:
- You want me to raise him to the status of a teacher, Gai?
- Not teacher! – Qui Rom stepped outside, smiling – End of this summer I’m entering tenth grade. I’m just passing on information from the ninth grade coursework to you guys.
Thoi almost responded, “I’d also finished 9th grade” but he stopped in time. Last year he was in 9th grade, and this year he will enter 9th grade again. To say out loud would only make him look bad. He doesn’t know that Lil’ Gai already told Qui Rom about him having to attend 9th grade again.
Thoi bit his lips and debated with himself. From the beginning of this summer, he was busy hanging out, while Lil’ Gai too busy working. Both of them didn’t have time to take summer classes like other children in the neighborhood. Furthermore, he rather hung out than studied. However, he doesn’t want to be held back one grade one more time. He doesn’t like being embarrassed around his friends, and doesn’t want his mom to be sad.
Thoi thought for a long time. He changed his posture two or three times without reaching a decision. Having a “teacher” who comes to his house to clean the house and tutor him is truly heaven on earth. However, he doesn’t want to call someone he normally bosses around a “teacher”.
- What do you think? – Lil’ Gai impatiently asked, her eyes staring at her brother, waiting for an answer.
Thoi rubbed his chin, still debating:
- Well… well… let me think about this…
Sensing her brother could be swayed, Lil’ Gai added:
- You can study on days that you feel like studying, and not when you don’t feel like it. No one asks you to study everyday.
- No one can tell me that! – Thoi raised his voice. All of a sudden, he was struck by an idea, his eyes lit up – Okay, I can study! Hmm, I’m studying to test whether this skinny kid is really that good!
Qui Rom could see Thoi’s mischievous design. However, he didn’t say anything. He just smiled and said:
- Then maybe tomorrow you can start “testing” me, sounds good?

oOo

Thoi “tested” Qui Rom on the first day and he was humbled.
Waiting for Qui Rom to go outside, he nudged his little sister and muttered:
- Qui is really good at teaching.
Thoi ceased calling Qui Rom a “skinny kid”. Lil’ Gai recognized the change in tone. She happily said:
- I told you so but you didn’t believe me!
Thoi reconciliated:
- Now I believe you.
He nodded and bragged:
- That last math problem, last year I heard it explained almost to the point of ruining my hearing without understand. But Qui just explained briefly and I instantly understand.
Lil’ Gai invited her brother:
- Why don’t you start studying with me tomorrow.
- Can’t! – Thoi shook his head – Girl and boy can’t study together!
Lil’ Gai softly chuckled:
- Who said girl and boy can’t study together. We are brother and sister.
Thoi exhaled and confessed:
- I’m a… below average student. I’m slow to understand, you can’t sit her and wait for me.
- Then why did you say Qui just briefly explained and you understand right away?
Thoi embarrassed:
- Right…truthfully Qui did explain to me…over ten times before I understand.
Ever since he changed his tone and started calling Qui by his name instead of calling him “the skinny kid”, Thoi also started to treat Qui Rom differently.
Qui Rom didn’t know about this change, and he almost fainted the next day when he was just about to sweep the courtyard when Thoi rushed to him and said:
- Let me do the sweeping.
- Well…
- Why don’t you go over there and tutor my sister.
Five minutes later, Qui Rom once again almost fainted when Thoi carried a glass of water to him and mumbled:
- You said a lot of things today; drink a little bit to keep your throat from being dried.
To speak in metaphor like Luom, Qui Rom now became “the rich landowner”, and Thoi changed into the role of a “servant”. “The rich landowner” stared at “Ut”
- What happened to your brother Thoi?
Lil’ Gai smiled knowingly:
- I don’t know.
Qui Rom caught off guard. He sat there tutor Lil’ Gai but found himself unable to concentrate. The sound of the broom sweeping outside causes him to be a little bit jumpy. His eyes constantly glanced outside.
Similar to Qui Rom, Thoi had never lay his hands on a broom before. This is why it took him a whole day to sweep the yard. Lil’ Gai finished studying and ran outside when she saw her brother still sweeping:
- You go study. Hand me the broom, I’ll continue sweeping.
Gai grabbed the broom while talking at the same time. However, Thoi steadfastly refused. He held the broomstick tightly:
- Leave it to me!
- Let me!
- You little! Your finger is like that, don’t bother arguing with me!
The two became involved in a tug of war, and suddenly the wrap on Lil’ Gai’s finger fell to the ground.
Thoi gasped and hurriedly stooped down to pick up the wrap, his mouth moving rapidly:
- I’m so sorry. Give me your finger so I can wrap it again.
Thoi grabbed Lil’ Gai hand before she can hide it behind her back. He pulled her hand close to his face and tsk:
- Let me see whether your finger is healing well!
While Lil’ Gai bashfully turned her face away, Thoi opened his eyes to observe his sister’s finger. He was surprised to see his sister’s finger fully healed. There was thin scar line running from the tip of the finger to the middle of the finger, but this scar has a new layer of skin on top. Compared with a normal finger, his sister finger is a little bit crooked, a little bit unsightly, possibly from the loss of a piece of bone at the tip. Clearly, the cut on the finger already healed two or three days ago.
Yet Lil’ Gai stayed quiet about this latest development. She continued to wrap her finger as if she is still in pain. Thoi recalled a while back, when the wound hadn’t healed, Lil’ Gai hurriedly unwound the wrap and lied that her finger has healed. Thoi knew Lil’ Gai did it with the hope that he will free Qui Rom. At that time, Thoi wasn’t surprised, just mildly annoyed. However, at the moment he is dazed and confused, unable to comprehend. Before, when it hasn’t healed, she lied and said it healed; at the moment it has healed but she pretended it has not healed. “Girls are full of complications,” Thoi muttered to himself. Suddenly Thoi had an idea, “Could it be Gai liked Qui Rom? Her feelings for him blossom over time? Could it be she pretended to wrap her finger so Qui Rom continues to come here and tutor her and talk with her?”
Thoi glanced at Lil’ Gai and saw his little sister still looking over the mulberry hedge. Maybe she was caught and his little sister couldn’t look at him in the eyes. His little sister is embarrassed. Suddenly Thoi pitied his sister. All of a sudden, he felt the love for his sister.
- Your finger seems healed but in reality, it hasn’t. It’s probably still hurting you. Don’t move, let me wrap it up for you. – Thoi pretended and unwrapped the roll of gauze and carefully wrapped his little sister finger.
As if waiting for that moment, Lil’ Gai turned around and pretended to complain:
- Please don’t use too much force, brother!
When Lil’ Gai turned her face around, then it was Thoi’s turn to look away. His turn to avert from his sister’s look. He was afraid his sister would find out he was lying. His throat was still hot.
That meant there has been a change in the order of things. Changed at a dizzying pace. From that day onward, after leaning his bike against the wall at Thoi house, Qui Rom would grandly sit down behind the table as if he is a little prince.
At first, Qui Rom felt a little bit weird. He didn’t want to wipe clean his promise to Lil’ Gai with the math tutoring session. However, if he grabbed a broom, a peeling knife, or a water pail, Thoi would be there to take over the task. Ah, not just Thoi who took over his tasks, but also Lil’ Gai.
Qui Rom looked at Gai’s wrapped finger, his brows furrowed:
- How can you work like that?
- Not a problem. My finger is almost healed.
Lil’ Gai replied, and she brushed Qui Rom’s hand aside:
- Why don’t you go inside and help my brother with math.
Thoi also repeated the same line to Qui Rom:
- Why don’t you go inside and help my sister with math.
With that said, Thoi nudged Qui Rom inside and kept him away from the pig pen or the kitchen where pig food is being prepared.
Lil’ Gai and Thoi kept pushing his hands aside and nudging him inside that eventually, he no longer resembled a house helper. Now he resembled more of a private tutor.
After tutoring Thoi or Lil’ Gai, he remained inside the house with nothing to do. All of a sudden, he became an unemployed person.
However, Qui Rom doesn’t like this arrangement. Thoi swept the house, Lil’ Gai cooked for the pigs, Qui Rom also ran outside to water the vegetable garden or refill the water vat.
The brother and sister initially protested, but seeing Qui Rom disregarded their protests, they let him be. Thoi had a strange thought, “Right, Qui can do whatever he want, as long as he continues to come up here and keep my sister happy!”

Trả lời với trích dẫn
Cũ 28-10-2009, 10:13 PM
Akô Nô Akô Nô đang ẩn
Super Moderator

Mặc định

Chapter 10

Tieu Long, Tac Ke Bong, and Luom naturally didnt know a thing about the revolution that occurred at the tile roof neighborhood.
Every night, seeing Qui Rom continued to fib with Auntie Nam Sang, the three looked at each other and smiled.
Auntie Nam Sang was happy to hear Qui Rom bragged about his skills:
- So are you almost done exorcise the ghost dear?
- Yes, just a few more days, Auntie.
- A few more days equal how many days?
Tieu Long laughed and answered for his friend:
- Well, until the ghosts finger has healed.
- What do mean by that? Auntie Nam Sang furrowed her brows The ghosts finger
Qui Rom cast an angry look at Tieu Long before turning to Auntie Nam Sang and replied:
- Wellwhile battling the ghost, it couldnt withstand my magic and broke a finger.
- Then ghosts also broke their fingers like humans?
- Yes. Qui Rom continued to fib while silently cursing Tieu Long Its finger made a snapping sound that chilled my hairs.
- Then what happened.
- Well, its giving up.However, it asked me for a little bit of time.When it finger healed, it will move on.
At night, while climbing on the divan, Qui Rom complained to chubby:
- What were you doing? Almost caused me to have a heart attack.
- Am I not right by saying so! Tieu Long snorted Clearly when Lil Gais finger is healed, only then your ghost task is done.
- Right. Qui Rom lost his momentum.
Tieu Long turned to his side so he can look at Qui Rom:
- So is her finger almost healed?
- I really dont know. Qui Rom sighed I saw her finger is still wrapped tightly today.
- Then you will hang out at Thois house this whole summer?
- I guess so, yes.
Tieu Long used his hand to prop his head up and clicked his tongue:
- De Lua stopped by to see you this afternoon.
Qui Roms stomach contracted:
- Does he have something for me?
- He said he heard you and me have returned here for the summer.However, he hasnt seen you so he was just looking.
Qui Rom raised his head:
- What did you tell him?
- I told him you went out to battle ghosts in the nearby village.-Tieu Long showed a toothy grin I told him this ghost is particularly fierce so you are gone all the time.
- Right!Whoever inquires about me you just tell them the same story, okay chubby!When my task is done, I will go down to Cat Co hill to visit them.
Tieu Long blinked:
- De Lua kept following me and asking questions this afternoon.He asked for the name and location of the nearby village.He insisted on coming to Thoi house to look for you.However, I blocked him.I repeated what you just said.I told him its a hanging ghost and very fierce.I said, Qui Rom didnt even let me, Tac Ke Bong, and Luom come along.Only then he gave up.
Qui Rom nudged his friend ribcage and complement:
- You did well, chubby.
As if thinking the complement wasnt enough, he added:
- Honestly, I havent met someone who gotten along with me as well.
Qui Rom should have just compliment Tieu Long once and that would have been enough.His second compliment no longer fits the situation.
In actuality, Tieu Long doesnt always understood Qui Rom.
Qui Rom doesnt like anybody coming to Thoi house.Earlier, Qui Rom already warned, If none of you can help me tutor Lil Gai in math, then none of you are allowed to come near Thoi house, okay.At the time, Tieu Long, Tac Ke Bong, and Luom all three nodded and agreed.
However, a week had gone by and the three obedient heads no longer nodded in agreement.Every evening, before Qui Rom came home, the three heads would look at each other, their lips pressed tight and their foreheads wrinkled.
- What should we do now? Tieu Long speaking to no one, his voice resigned.
- Right, what should we do? Luom voice trailed behind.As if thinking he sounded too much like an echo from behind a rock wall, he complained Do we just let Qui sticks his neck out for Thoi to boss around from one day to the next?
Tac Ke Bong snorted:
- Tieu Long wanted to bring the whole gang up there to help him out but he declined.
Luom swung his hand:
- Why dont we just show up.
- We cant, Luom. Tieu Long shrugged Your brother Quis temperament, I know too well.
- Then we will tie our hands then? Luom temper flared.
Tieu Long and the gang did tie their hands for several days.
However, when Qui Rom compliment Tieu Long as someone who knows him, the next day Tieu Long lethargic head suddenly came up with a clever plan:
- Yes, we will come up to Thoi house tomorrow.
Luoms eyes widened like a frog:
- You are not afraid of Qui complaining?
Tieu Long patted his brothers shoulder:
- Well say we come for the bike.Ill say your father needs the bike to see your grandpa.He is being treated at Mr. Giao Hoa house.
Luom clapped his hands:
- Excellent!
Tac Ke Bong smiled:
- Your excuse is excellent, Tieu Long.
Tieu Longs nose swollen with pride.He happily continued:
- Naturally we wont take the bike right away.We will pretend to look around Thoi house and see what Qui Rom has to do.While we are there, we can lend the skinny kid a hand.
- Right! Tac Ke Bong nodded Then Qui Rom wont have a reason to blame us.Friend helping friend is a normal thing.
Luom excited:
- Since we helped him once, we can run up to help him subsequent time.
His eyes closed from grinning broadly, his hands swung wildly:
- Im going to try peeling bananas tomorrow.
- Tomorrow, only Tac Ke Bong and I will go.
Tieu Long interrupted Luom, deflating his excitement.He stuttered like someone who couldnt find his footing:
- Wellwell
- No if or well.If you also go down there, who is going to herd the cows to Cat Co hill?
In reality, Tieu Long could easily assign the task to Tac Ke Bong.However, after deliberation, he believed Tac Ke Bong and him should go to Thoi house.
Thoi is a mean kid with a temper, and with his large size, Tieu Long guesses him as someone who enjoys fighting.Meanwhile, Luom is small in stature.It must be two large kids like Tac Ke Bong and him for Thoi to be a little bit wary.If he is wary, then its unlikely that a fight would occur.Furthermore, he would stop picking on Qui Rom.In his gut, Tieu Long doesnt want to fight with Thoi.He knows if something happened between the two sides, Qui Rom surely stops looking at him.
With his mind set, the next day, Tieu Long adviced Tac Ke Bong while the two walked there:
- When we reach the house, remember not to get in a fight with him.
- Ill remember.
- Even if Thoi picks on you or does something mean, you have to bear it.
- I will.
- However, can you perform something unique to cool him down?
Tac Ke Bong took a deep breath and expanded his stomach:
- I will use my stomach to push his water vat over.
- Cant do that! Tieu Long interrupted If the vat broke, where would we get the money to repay him?
- Right! Tac Ke Bong rubbed his head Okay, we will improvise something later.Ill look for bricks or something.And you?
- I dont know.But if I have the chance to show my skill of head breaking.
- Its a good performance. Tac Ke Bong excited Im going to gather the bricks together for you to break using my stomach.
The two enthusiastically planned everything out while walking.After a short period, they reached the mulberry hedge outside of Thoi house.
- Were here? Tac Ke Bong asked when he saw Tieu Long slowed down.
- Right! Thois house is the one with the mulberry hedge wrapped with pink vines.
Tieu Long stooped down while answering.Behind him, Tac Ke Bong shuffled behind.
The two lay outside the hedge, their eyes wide and stared into the yard.
- Qui Rom is sweeping the yard. Tieu Long whispered into Tac Ke Bong ear when he heard the sound of the broom against the stoned floor.
- I dont think its the skinny kid.
Tac Ke Bong whispered back, his hand cleared the leaves that block his vision.
- What? Its not him? Tieu Long asked with astonish, this time he saw who is sweeping the yard Ah, its Thoi.
Tac Ke Bong startled:
- So Thoi is this kid?
- Yeah.
Tac Ke Bong wetted his lips:
- Hey, his appearance looks pretty mean.
Tieu Long grunted, his eyes scan the whole yard looking for Qui Rom.
While scanning the yard, he suddenly heard Qui Rom voice from somewhere inside the house sounding out:
- Thoi, are you done sweeping?
- Nope! Thoi halted his sweeping, his head raised to look inside the house, obediently answered:
Again, Qui Roms voice rang out:
- Its a small yard, whats taking you so long?
- Im almost done!
After replying, Thoi continued sweeping.This time, however, his sweeping motion is much more urgent.
Tieu Long couldnt believe both his eyes and ears.The round of questions and answers are all too familiar to him because Luom recounted the first time he followed Qui Rom.However, according to Luoms account, Qui Rom and Thoi role should have been reversed.
This time, the kid sitting in the shade issuing orders was Qui Rom, and the one bearing the sun outside was Thoi.
Tac Ke Bong was also equally surprise, mixed with a little bit of suspicion.He looked at Tieu Long as if he was looking at a con-artist:
- How come Qui Rom, Luom and you all say this Thoi kid is really bossy, and he orders Qui Rom around.
- Wellto be honest- Suddenly, Tieu Long found himself stuttering.
- No, please be honest! Tac Ke Bong muttered through gritted teeth, he would yell loudly if they werent hiding outside You guys are lying to me?
- Nono…- Tieu Long hesitantly replied while agonizingly realized its still difficulty to move his jaw.
Tac Ke Bong didnt have time to continue his questioning when Lil Gais voice rang out:
- Older brother, please run to get Qui some water.Quis throat is dry.
Not waiting for the little sister to repeat herself, Thoi tossed the broom and hurriedly ran to the kitchen while babbling:
- Yes, right away!Right away!
On the other side of the hedge, Tac Ke Bong elbowed Tieu Long in the side and growled:
- Clearly you guys conspired to deceive me!
- No, not at all! Tieu Long continued to grimace; his face resembles a piece of crumpled paper.
- How do you explain that?- Tac Ke Bong grinded his teeth, his face started to show a few red spots- Im not blind you know.
Tieu Long clicked his tongue:
- Why would I want to lie to you?
- So I would go herd the cows for Luom, thats why!
Tieu Long knew he is being framed.However, he doesnt know how to explain to his friend.At the moment, his emotions are mixed and more confused than Tac Ke Bong.Tac Ke Bong is just suspicious, while he is both confused and shocked at the same time. The other day, Luom and him hid outside and spied inside.He himself witnessed Thoi commanded Qui Rom to carry water, peel bananas for pigs.Thoi yelled once and Qui Rom already started running
Tac Ke Bong didnt know Tieu Long was thinking.Seeing the fat kid remained quiet, he sarcastically laughed:
- Im right, and your jaw is locked, right?
Tieu Longs jaw is locked, but not because Tac Ke Bong was right.Seeing how Tieu Long sat there without replying, Tac Ke Bong became increasingly furious and became more convince that the whole gang is tricking him.
Tac Ke Bong became so angry that when he saw Thoi ran outside again, he picked up the broom and suddenly stood up:
- Hey, Thoi!
Tac Ke Bongs decision was outside of Tieu Long expectation.He frantically hit Tac Ke Bong in the foot and whispered:
- Are you crazy?Sit down!
Tieu Longs frantic move and his command had no effect on Tac Ke Bong as he remained standing upright.And Thoi was not deaf.
Thoi jumped a little.Looking outside, he was surprised to see a kid standing on the other side of his hedge angrily looking back.
- Who are you? Thoi regained his composure and lifted his chin.
Tac Ke Bong yanked his ankle from Tieu Longs grip and slowly walked along the hedge and entered the yard:
- Who am I? Im a friend of the rich landowner
- The rich landowner? Thoi widened his eyes.
- Oh, I meant Im Quis friend. Tac Ke Bong quickly corrected himself.
Thoi face visibly relaxed:
- Ah, so you are his friend.
Thoi observed Tac Ke Bong with curiosity:
- Qui did say he has a few buddies living in the upper village.
- Right! Tac Ke Bong interrupted Im Tac Ke Bong.
- Ah, where are Tieu Long and Luom?
- Luom is herding the cows. Tac Ke Bong shrugged, forgetting everything Tieu Long told him in his anger There is only Tieu Long and I came here to check out your health today.
Thoi looked around:
- Where is Tieu Long?
Tac Ke Bong pointed at the spot where the fat kid is hiding:
- He is hiding over there.
With his location revealed, Tieu Long bashfully stood up from behind the mulberry hedge, silently cursing Tac Ke Bong the traitor.
- Ah, so you are Tieu Long. Thoi nodded How come you guys didnt come inside instead of hiding outside?
- Wellwell- Tieu Long face turned red We are scared of being bitten by dogs.
Thoi laughed out loud:
- You guys dont need to worry.My house doesnt have dogs.
Recalling Tac Ke Bongs health question, Thoi furrowed his brows and honestly asked, without thinking that these guys wanted to cause trouble:
- Did Quy tell you guys Im sick?
- Nope. Tieu Long confused.
- Really?Then how come Tac Ke Bong said you guys are here to check out my health?
Tac Ke Bong formed a fist:
- Check out your health means using this.
- What did you say? Thoi took a step back, his eyes wide, hands tightly gripped the broom handle.
Tac Ke Bong looked around but he didnt see anything he could use to show off his stomach strength.There were no bricks in the yard.There was a single brick near the mulberry hedge.
He walked over and picked up the brick, turned to Tieu Long and said:
- Hey, show him your head kungfu!
Having said so, Tac Ke Bong immediately raised the brick and smashed down on Tieu Long head.
Krack! and the brick broke in half in front of a shocked Thoi.
Tac Ke Bong looked at Thoi and smiled arrogantly:
- Do you see the master skills?
- Master your head! Thoi didnt have time to response, Tieu Long already complained while rubbing his head You almost broke my head.
Tac Ke Bong answered loudly to intimidate Thoi:
- You are a kung fu master, a strong man with scissor kick and head of steel, there is no chance of me breaking your head!
Tieu Long grimaced:
- You smashed my head right away so I didnt have time to prepare.
Tieu Long continued to rub his forehead:
- Luckily, at the last moment I managed to take a deep breath.
With his boasting deflated by Tieu Long, Tac Ke Bong glanced at Thoi and loudly said:
- We heard that you really boss Qui around here, so we came to punish you.Turned out, it was all a lie.
Although Thoi outwardly seemed happy when Tac Ke Bong suddenly appeared, inwardly he started to get suspicious.
He became more cautious and alert when Tieu Long showed his face.These twos suspicious actions clearly indicate that they were up to no good.
However, Thoi had not reached a decision yet.
These two kids are Qui Rom friends, and Qui Rom is tutoring the brother sister duo in math-while he hasnt said anything outloud, he already looked to Qui Rom as his teacher.
It wouldnt be right if the student engaged in a fistfight with friends of the teacher.
Furthermore, his teacher seems to have some tough looking friends.
Each one loomed large in stature like a guardian at the temple, especially this hard-headed, brick-breaking kid named Tieu Long.
His fists are useless against this guy.
While pondering this, Thoi suddenly exuded an ah and his eyes shone brightly:
- I remember now.You are the one who used head of steel kungfu when fought against De Lua, the leader of Duoi village, two years ago, right?
Tieu Long was surprised:
- Oh, so you also know this story?
- Of course.At that time, the little kids in Tren and Duoi villages all recounted this story.
Recalling that Tieu Long is coming here today to use his head of steel kungfu against him, Thoi ceased speaking.
He swallowed hard, didnt have time to explain himself when Tac Ke Bong kicked the broken brick to the hedge, his voice irritated:
- This means Qui invented the story about your sister cutting her finger and you forcing him to stoop down and repay the blood debt.In reality, he comes here to be everybodys teacher.The skinny kid intentionally deceived me so that I would brave the sun and the rain to herd cows for Luom.Hmm, now I know he is the worse friend in the world.Truly bad!
It hasnt rained in the last few days, but Tac Ke Bong added the raining part to add more hardship to his complaint.
At first, when he heard Tac Ke Bong called Qui Rom a liar and the part about Qui Rom forced to work from dawn to dusk by him pure fiction, Thoi felt relief.
He was going to smooth things over by remaining silent.
However, the more he heard Qui Rom being unfairly mischaracterized, the less he could stand it.
Ever since the day Qui Rom agreed to tutor the brother and sister duo, Thoi already started to have kind affection toward the kid.
And now, his affection grew larger when he heard Qui Rom was willing to break his back working for him because he felt bad for hurting Lil Gais finger, not because he was afraid of Thois fist.
Thoi thought, Right, his friend Tieu Long is skillful in martial arts, he shouldnt be afraid of me!
- Qui is not a bad friend. Thoi stuck out his neck He did not invent stories.Everything he recounted to you was factual.
- Now you are in league to trick me, Thoi? Tac Ke Bong scowled He sat in one place and commanded you to sweep the yard, pour water, etcIve heard everything.
Thoi scratched his thigh with the broom handle, hesitated:
- Well, this role reversal just occurred the last few days.
- What do you mean the last few days?
Tac Ke Bong rubbed his stomach, his face in disbelief.Standing near him, Tieu Long also raised his ears, anxious to hear Thoi reply.
- Its true Id forced Qui to perform all manual chores in the house inlieu of my sister before.However, when he started to tutor me and my sister.
Thoi suddenly stopped while talking.He was unable to explain the changes that occurred within him.
However, even if he could explain them, he still feel hesitant.He suddenly realized its much easier for him to say he hates Qui instead of saying he likes the kid.
Even thinking about it turned his face a crimson red.
Tac Ke Bong attentively looked at Thois face and sarcastically commented:
-Your face suddenly turned red, which only means you guys are inventing story.Hmm, so all of you are
- All of us are what! Qui Roms voice materialized Tac Ke Bong, let me as you this, Is your head still on your neck?
The three turned around and saw Qui Rom and Lil Gai standing by the doorway looking out.While Tieu Long paid attention to the little something standing next to Qui Rom, Tac Ke Bong cleared his throat:
- You mean beside my eyes and nose, what else is on my head, right?
- That is what I would like to know! Qui Rom irate You dont know anything, yet keep on talking.None of the things Ive told you were made up.
He suddenly grabbed Lil Gai hand and raised it up:
- Why dont you open your eyes wide and look at this!
Tac Ke Bong opened his eyes wide, saw the wrap on Lil Gais finger and nodded:
- Ah, so itwas genuine.
- Id told you guys already. Qui Rom exhaled I already caused her finger to look like this, I have the responsibility to help her with chores.If you were me, wouldnt you do the same, Tac Ke Bong?
Tac Ke Bong blinked:
- Right, I would have done the same.
- And Thoi, he has the right to hate me because I am the one to blame, and because he really loves his little sister.However, when I start to tutor both of them, he has the right to cease disliking me.If someone helps you study better, would you hate that person in return, Tac Ke Bong?
One more time, Tac Ke Bong lost his steam:
- Right, I cant hate that person.
Thoi, standing to one side listening to Qui Rom lectures, his ears tickled with delight.
There are many things he feels that are hard to convey, yet Qui Rom succintly stated them no problem.
Even better still was Tac Ke Bongs aggresiveness suddenly evaporated and no longer called his teacher a bad friend.
With his head in the cloud, Thoi enthusiastically chorused:
- Not only I dont hate him, I really like him. My little sister also feels the same way.She likes him to the point that her finger healed several days ago, yet she still keep it wrapped so Qui will come up to hang out with her
Thoi has lungs of a cow.
His natural ad-lib mortified Qui Rom, causing his face to turn red with his feet planted on the ground like a tree.
When he hesitantly turned to his side, Lil Gai already ran off somewhere else.
Qui Rom looked out to the yard and saw Thoi, realizing hed spoken too much, supretiously scratched his neck.
Standing across from Thoi, Tieu Long and Tac Ke Bong covered their mouths to suppress their giggle.
- Is something funny?- Qui Rom turned angry out of embarrassment Who lets you guys came up here, huh?
Tieu Long continued to keep his hand on his mouth.
He kept it there as if pressing against a gun barrel, fearing if he lets go, then the bullets will fly out uncontrollably.He spoke, the air coming through his fingers:
- We came to take the bicycle back to uncle Nam Chieu so he can visit grandpa.
Qui Rom is the king of lies. He knows Tieu Long is lying to him.
However, the king of lies had to give in when Tieu Long used uncle Nam Chieu as an excuse.
With quicking thinking, Qui Rom sensed that in this situation, honesty is the best solution.
When you are honest, then no one had the heart to poke fun at you.
Honesty will make people go easier on you.He cleared his throat several times, and with eyes closed, loudly said:
-Truthfully, I also really like Thoi and his sibling.Even if Lil Gai could uncover her wrap, I still come up here to hang out with them everyday.
Qui Rom closed his eyes but his mouth was wide opened.He intentionally spoke louder so Lil Gai, hiding inside the house, can hear him.
Sensing that he needs to be more convincing, Qui Rom hurriedly added, this time with the hope that no one thinks he is lying:
-In truth, I knew Lil Gais finger healed a long time ago.
Qui Rom finished his sentence and suddenly heard a loud sound from the back.
Normally, he would tighten his stomach and glance around to see who is making fun of him.
However, he is no longer the same Qui Rom as before.
After a period of acting as a dayhelper, he knew where that sound originated from.
He looked behind and yelled:
- Oh Gai, its time to prepare food for the pigs!

The End

(NGUYỄN SƠN HÀ chuyển ngữ)

Trả lời với trích dẫn
Trả lời

Quyền viết bài
Bạn không thể gửi chủ đề mới
Bạn không thể gửi trả lời
Bạn không thể gửi file đính kèm
Bạn không thể sửa bài viết của mình

BB code đang Mở
Mặt cười đang Mở
[IMG] đang Mở
HTML đang Tắt

Chuyển đến